Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Clutch cover issue: oil leak from bolt hole normal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch cover issue: oil leak from bolt hole normal?

I noticed that after putting a few miles on my recently resurrected kat that when on the engine stand and the bike is in gear with the clutch lever pulled that the wheel still turns. Also when the bike is off and in gear and clutch lever pulled that it is very difficult to turn the rear wheel by hand. Im guessing this isn't normal.
    I proceeded to remove the clutch release cover. One of the bolt holes (in the image below) had oil coming out. It doesn't stop coming out either. Is this normal or am I missing a gasket or what?? I see no mention anywhere of oil coming out of this hole.

I put a bolt in after removing the cover to stop the leak btw
    Last edited by turboboxer6spd; 09-05-2011, 09:57 PM. Reason: addition
    sigpic
    1992 Kat 600

Originally posted by turboboxer6spd View Post
    I noticed that after putting a few miles on my recently resurrected kat that when on the engine stand and the bike is in gear with the clutch lever pulled that the wheel still turns. Also when the bike is off and in gear and clutch lever pulled that it is very difficult to turn the rear wheel by hand. Im guessing this isn't normal.
    I proceeded to remove the clutch release cover. One of the bolt holes (in the image below) had oil coming out. It doesn't stop coming out either. Is this normal or am I missing a gasket or what?? I see no mention anywhere of oil coming out of this hole.

I put a bolt in after removing the cover to stop the leak btw

Oil should not normally come from that hole. Probably someone put the wrong bolt in, and ended up "punching" through into the case with it.

It probably won't hurt anything long as that bolt is in and tight. You might want to consider a simple fix to stop it back up just incase that bolt ever comes loose on the road. I would think making sure the bolt is the right length, and then some JBweld in the back of the hole would probably resolve the leak issue when the bolt is out.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I was afraid of this...
      I guess its a good time to change oil anyway b/c it won't stop coming out otherwise. I just don't want anything to end up in the oil eventually and I don't know wether to just put some JB weld or otherwise on the bolt before I put it in the hole. The problem is it will probably just come out again next time i remove the bolt. Any suggestions??
      sigpic
      1992 Kat 600

Comment

Originally posted by turboboxer6spd View Post
        I was afraid of this...
        I guess its a good time to change oil anyway b/c it won't stop coming out otherwise. I just don't want anything to end up in the oil eventually and I don't know wether to just put some JB weld or otherwise on the bolt before I put it in the hole. The problem is it will probably just come out again next time i remove the bolt. Any suggestions??
        Oh, yeah... you don't want to make the bolt stuck in there.

Drain the oil, leave the plug out.

Use a cleaner of some sort like carb cleaner/ brake cleaner, to clean the hole out.

Insert the jb weld back in the hole some, just a small amount. Screw in the bolt to the correct depth (tape around it the same width as the cover can help set your "depth"). Then screw it back out. Clean it immediately. Wait a moment. Do it again, make sure you clean the threads.

Eventually once you know the threads are clean on both the hole and your bolt, you leave the bolt out and let it cure. Then, when cured you have the end plugged off, but the bolt hole, threads, and bolt all working normally.

don't forget to put the oil plug back in at this point.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Does anyone have a measurement of how long that bolt is supposed to be?
          sigpic
          1992 Kat 600

Comment

Working...
          X