X

need help 92 gsx750f wont crank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help 92 gsx750f wont crank

i got the bike from a friend who bought it and said it doesnt run i was told it wouldnt do anything and it needed an ignition module so he bought a ignition module and a new battery and now it makes a click and thats it the key was lost so it has to be turned with a screwdriver and the housing for the ignition was cracked in the process. i am a car mechanic with no bike knowledge so its unfamiliar territory but i know my way arounf engines and electrical syatems and would like some input. it was sitting for a year and i just took out the battery and have it on a slow charge so and ideas on why this thing wont crank???

start checking voltage from battery and work your way from there. To and from start switch, to and from starter relay, at the starter. You can unplug the ignition switch and jump the plugs with 2 jumper wires to eleminate that as a cause.
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

i have the battery charging now and i am going to try bypassing the ignition switch and where is the starter relay i have all the plastic pieces off already and the 4 fuses to the rear of the battery are 10 amp and good idk what they r for but they r good

Comment

Go here and download the schematic for your Kat, this should help with sorting out/testing the electrical.
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Pretty simple.

First, make sure the engine isn't frozen (roll it in 4th gear and drop the clutch.... it should spin the engine a little bit)

Next, make sure you're getting power to the starter (Start from the starter and work backwards until you find power, if there is none at the starter. The starter relay is on the side of the battery box. It's shaped like a cylinder.)

If there is power at the starter, and the engine isn't frozen, then you likely have a problem with your starter. It's not really common, but the insulation that keeps the starter terminal from contacting the case will sometimes break, letting the starter power dead short to ground. When that happens, you'll get just a click/pop and nothing else. You should be able to tell if this is happening (your starter cable will get hot as hell if you keep trying to crank it). If this happens, you can take the starter apart and insulate it yourself.... contact me if this is the case, and I can give you more specifics.

If you don't have a problem with the physical starter unit, but it still won't crank, check your starter gear/clutch setup under the left side front engine cover. There is a little gear that rides on a shaft between the engine case and the cover, and a starter clutch assembly. Make sure that nothing is bound up in there.
          Last edited by loudnlow7484; 09-05-2011, 09:31 PM.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
          X