X

bike wont cruise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike wont cruise

my 02 katana 750 when through a flood i cleaned everything let everything dry out but it wont cruise it runs fine if i am really getting on the throttle but as soon as i let the rpm go down to about 5000 to cruise at 70 it starts to cut out and all i can smell is gas can someone tell me what is wrong with it

It went through a flood? You need to soak those carbs and then blow them out with compressed air. They are probably dirty. They may need rebuilt, but try a good cleaning first. Most likely is that the float needles aren't sealing off the gas flow.....

Comment

would also be my first guess.

The gas smell is likely the seats not sealing and if its running ok when your really on the throttle is what i'd would expect if this was happening.

a good clean will fix er

Comment

i actually had the carbs rebuilt today because i figured it would need that i drained the gas tank put dry gas in the tank bike idles fine excellerates fine just will not stay at a middle rpm range at all

Comment

Originally posted by earl12758 View Post
          i actually had the carbs rebuilt today because i figured it would need that i drained the gas tank put dry gas in the tank bike idles fine excellerates fine just will not stay at a middle rpm range at all
          No middle RPM range still says the floats are out of adjustment, or you have a dirty jet/circuit in the carb. Did you ask what parts were replaced when they rebuilt them? 02.....did you install a new fuel filter?

Comment

i would replace/clean everything. lines included. you might find after burning through a tank of gas the second tank will run better. You might have some water in the fuel system.

Comment

according to the dealer they replaced the needle jets the fuel filter the oil filter the spark plugs and did a complete carb rebuild they also told me that the bike had water in the engine but they cleaned it out and should be driving fine

they told me that the bike should be junked if the bike is running like that because its something internal and cant be fixed but i jsut bought the bike in march and dont want to get ride of it
              Last edited by earl12758; 08-29-2011, 10:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If all they replaced were the needle jets(float needles? or main jets?), then they didn't do a complete rebuild. That would require all new o-rings and all new jets. I'll bet they didn't clean them very well either.

Originally posted by earl12758 View Post
                according to the dealer they replaced the needle jets the fuel filter the oil filter the spark plugs and did a complete carb rebuild they also told me that the bike had water in the engine but they cleaned it out and should be driving fine

they told me that the bike should be junked if the bike is running like that because its something internal and cant be fixed but i jsut bought the bike in march and dont want to get ride of it
                Dealer doesn't know their head from a hole in the wall. It's a carb or coil issue.
                Last edited by 05RedKat600; 08-29-2011, 10:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Click this signature link and it will walk you through how to fix it.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                  X