X

CDI question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDI question

I did a engine swap from a 1990 gsx600 kat to a 2006 750 kat. I still used the old wiring harness. When i had the old engine running, it only rev'd to 6k rpm. long behold, when i got my 750 running, it only rev's to 6k rpm still. My question is: Could i buy a '06 750 CDI and put it on the old wiring harness with no complications?

One of the main issues is the conecting plug of the original wiring harness to the new CDI. I do know that the 1998-2002 CDI & wiring harness changed to the 2003+ CDI & wiring harness. So I would venture to say that a 2006 CDI would not plug into the older wiring harness, but that's a guess.

Here's my post between the two wiring harnessesseess.

Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I know it's not the cheapest solution, but a Dyna 2000 ignition will work.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
        One of the main issues is the conecting plug of the original wiring harness to the new CDI. I do know that the 1998-2002 CDI & wiring harness changed to the 2003+ CDI & wiring harness. So I would venture to say that a 2006 CDI would not plug into the older wiring harness, but that's a guess.

Here's my post between the two wiring harnessesseess.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92190

thanks that was helpful. figured i'd be better off just buy a post wiring harness also so i can plug the tps

Comment

What are you doing for gauges? A 98+ harness, you need a 98+ dash.

Comment

Pre and Post CDI/Harness will not match up. The Plugs are different (just confirmed with 95/96 600s vs 2k 600 harness and CDI.)

As chris mentioned, there will be some other things you run into as well that won't exactly match up when you start swapping the Harness. Handlebar Pod connections, turn signal connections, gauges, so on...

I have a post parted, 2k CDI and Harness (what I just did the comparison on) if you decide you want to go that route, but I would suggest instead just looking for a pre 600 CDI.

I would also suggest you use the pre carbs if you have them, instead of the post with the TPS.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              What are you doing for gauges? A 98+ harness, you need a 98+ dash.
              That..... is a good question. looks like i'll have to compensate for that so i'll have to get back to you on that one. ive been aiming to make a custom dash so might as well start planning for it now

Thanks Arsenic

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Pre and Post CDI/Harness will not match up. The Plugs are different (just confirmed with 95/96 600s vs 2k 600 harness and CDI.)

As chris mentioned, there will be some other things you run into as well that won't exactly match up when you start swapping the Harness. Handlebar Pod connections, turn signal connections, gauges, so on...

I have a post parted, 2k CDI and Harness (what I just did the comparison on) if you decide you want to go that route, but I would suggest instead just looking for a pre 600 CDI.

I would also suggest you use the pre carbs if you have them, instead of the post with the TPS.

Krey
              You made some good points. i think ill go for the 600 CDI now. Much easier and i can do without the extra power for now

the pre carbs were 1990 600 and i thought it would have made a/f issues putting it on a 2006 750. they were born the same year as i was and need to be blasted
              Last edited by Fkat; 08-25-2011, 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Fkat View Post
                That..... is a good question. looks like i'll have to compensate for that so i'll have to get back to you on that one. ive been aiming to make a custom dash so might as well start planning for it now

Thanks Arsenic

You made some good points. i think ill go for the 600 CDI now. Much easier and i can do without the extra power for now

the pre carbs were 1990 600 and i thought it would have made a/f issues putting it on a 2006 750. they were born the same year as i was and need to be blasted

Clean those pre carbs... they will work better rebuilt than the post carbs new. jus sayn.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The post 750 carbs are from me. I'm gonna have to disagree that his rebuilt carbs will be better.

Comment

He quick on that trigger.......
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      He quick on that trigger.......

Yep... but ask him what set he would use if he cleaned both.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

No one asked me, or told me what they were for, dude just said he needed a set of 98+ 750 carbs. I wouldn't use a set of 90-97 600 carbs on a 98-06 750 either.

Comment

Working...
                        X