X

Carb problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb problem

As far as I can tell, the carbs on my bike, or not the stock ones. This makes using the service manual impossible, and cleaning them equally problematic. I bought the bike being told that the carbs were recently cleaned, and only needed to be synchronized. When I tried to start her up yesturday, I found that this was not the case. I pulled the carbs off the bike, opened up the bottom bowl, and found them to be quite gross looking. Not the worst ever, but definately not clean. Can anyone tell me exactly what carbs these are? I did a picture search on google, and found these labeled as post kat carbs, but there is no TPS. It has totally different fuel bowls from the stock unit, and different float setup.

this is mine

and this is what the manual says i should have

regardless of what carb I have, When I reinstalled the floats, and tried to reinstall the carbs, I hooked up fuel to them, and found gas literally pouring out of cylinders 3 and 4. I pulled them back off, and all o rings were still installed, I didn't change anything. Any ideas?

The top pic looks like 90-97 katana carbs.

The bottom pic shows 98-2006 carbs.

What bike do you have?

Where specifically is the gas coming from? Have you done a "float needle seal" check?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What bike did they come off of? They are 90-97 600 if they are 33mm or 89-97 750 if they are 36mm.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        What bike did they come off of? They are 90-97 600 if they are 33mm or 89-97 750 if they are 36mm.
        " I just bought myself a 94 750 for $450 I am in the process of rebuilding."

Would be nice if folks would fill out their garage, eh?

Originally posted by flcmbt View Post
        As far as I can tell, the carbs on my bike, or not the stock ones. This makes using the service manual impossible, and cleaning them equally problematic. I bought the bike being told that the carbs were recently cleaned, and only needed to be synchronized. When I tried to start her up yesturday, I found that this was not the case. I pulled the carbs off the bike, opened up the bottom bowl, and found them to be quite gross looking. Not the worst ever, but definately not clean. Can anyone tell me exactly what carbs these are? I did a picture search on google, and found these labeled as post kat carbs, but there is no TPS. It has totally different fuel bowls from the stock unit, and different float setup.

this is mine

and this is what the manual says i should have

regardless of what carb I have, When I reinstalled the floats, and tried to reinstall the carbs, I hooked up fuel to them, and found gas literally pouring out of cylinders 3 and 4. I pulled them back off, and all o rings were still installed, I didn't change anything. Any ideas?
        You have the wrong manual. You need the manual for the Pre-Katana, not the post. You can find it in the Wiki.
        Last edited by 05RedKat600; 08-18-2011, 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yeah, those are the right carbs duder. BTW, the floats bowls are on backwards. #2 & #3 should be #1 & #4.
          Last edited by arsenic; 08-18-2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I have the right manual. I traced the gas leak, it is coming from the T connector between 3&4. One of the seals is completely stuckered. Everytime I search for the part online, it gives a different diagram. FML. Cant find that part

Comment

Then your manual is wrong. Those are 98+ carbs in your manual pictures.

You mean #14 and 15 on that fische? The T connector?

Comment

How can you tell the bowls are on the wrong cylinders? I haven't touched them since I bought, so if they are wrong, the PO put them on wrong.
                I did find the seal, it was on the other carb page, good call redkat. Cheers mate. I put the seal on rush delivery, so hopefully good news shall soon follow

Comment

The drain screws. The longer, phillips ones go on 1 & 4 and the shorter hex head ones go on 2 & 3. You ordered one seal? Seriously? You're gonna need 4 float bowl gasket, 8 needle valve o-rings, 4 pilot jet plugs and 3 other seals if you expect to rebuild them correctly.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 08-18-2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Arsenic lol relax and breathe lol. I bought a whole set of that seal, replacing all of the seals on the fuel delivery. And also replacing two of the springs on the throttle setup, because they were a little misshapen. The gasket on the bowl is not being replaced currently, because I inspected every gasket and o ring thoroughly, and and they didn't so much as have a chip or bend in them.

Comment

Very good.

Comment

Working...
                      X