X

Clutch Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Problems

Ok guys I have a 89 Kat 750F. Here is what's doing when sitting at a light holding in the clutch all is good. Now if I put it in netural and release the clutch I hear and feel a low rumbling noise from clutch side. The secound I pull in the clutch it goes away can someone please tell me whats going on???? Do I need a new set off clutch plates or may be just an adjustment. Thanks

That sounds more like a bearing in the tranny to me. Which one, however, I can't say.

Comment

Not sure how it could be a bearing in the trans when the bike is not even in motion when this happens? Also with the smallest amout of clutch engaugement it stops.

Comment

The gears and shafts in the tranny are turning whether you are moving or not. If the engine is running, the gears are moving. It's a constant mesh transmission. You are engaging cogs for the different gears when you shift.

Most likely it is a bearing near the clutch basket. You load it when you pull in the clutch as the springs push on the shaft to release the plates.

Comment

So I guess I am SCREWED!!!!!! I was hopeing it would b a clutch bearing or plates not a total engine tear down. Guess I will ride it till it is toast. Thanks for your help............

Comment

Originally posted by snoop358 View Post
            So I guess I am SCREWED!!!!!! I was hopeing it would b a clutch bearing or plates not a total engine tear down. Guess I will ride it till it is toast. Thanks for your help............
            That's just my opinion. Don't throw in the towel just yet, I may be completely wrong. I'd wait for a second opinion if I were you. It very well could just be a clutch bearing. Let me see if I can find an exploded view to see what's in there.

Comment

My guess, clutch basket needle bearing.
              No,the transmission shafts are not always turning, but the clutch basket is always turning. The gear on the crankshaft meshes with clutch basket gear. In neutral clutch basket still turns.

Comment

That is what I was thinking and hopeing. I will try doing a clutch ajustment first since I never did one on this bike. Just so you know a little more about the bike I bought it 2 months ago it was sitting for 7 years got it running and have been rideing it for a month now. Not that it makes any difference and it only has 7 thousand miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Dylan View Post
                  My guess, clutch basket needle bearing.
                  No,the transmission shafts are not always turning, but the clutch basket is always turning. The gear on the crankshaft meshes with clutch basket gear. In neutral clutch basket still turns.
                  Put your bike on a center stand. In neutral, rev it a bit. The rear wheel will turn because it is a constant mesh transmission and there is a small amount of friction because everything is turning, even in neutral.

Comment

Will a clutch assembly from a 98 Katana 750F fit my 89?? It looks the like the same set up but is listed as 2B???

Comment

Working...
                    X