X

Stalling at stops when warm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalling at stops when warm

I just bought this 2005 on Saturday and have finally gotten comfortable enough to move out of the parking lot and onto the street.

Now I find out that she likes to stall after a nice run whenever I come to a stop. Once stalled, it's a PIA to get her started again. If I keep giving her gas when stopped, she will stay running.

I also noticed that there seems to be a slight "klunk" when shifting gears and the bike almost wants to move when I hit the starter.

Is it possible that the clutch isn't disengaging all the way, just enough to cause these problems? Please keep in mind that I know nothing about motorcycles, but I am very good with turbocharged 4 cylinder cars. Thanks!

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
    I just bought this 2005 on Saturday and have finally gotten comfortable enough to move out of the parking lot and onto the street.

Now I find out that she likes to stall after a nice run whenever I come to a stop. Once stalled, it's a PIA to get her started again. If I keep giving her gas when stopped, she will stay running.

I also noticed that there seems to be a slight "klunk" when shifting gears and the bike almost wants to move when I hit the starter.

Is it possible that the clutch isn't disengaging all the way, just enough to cause these problems? Please keep in mind that I know nothing about motorcycles, but I am very good with turbocharged 4 cylinder cars. Thanks!

Some shift noise and light "grabbing" when first starting the bike is normal. The clutch is a wet clutch so where will still be some "push" when the motor is spinning.

That said... it is possible that the clutch is not fully disengaging and causing this to be worse than normal, and you don't know better (being the bike is new to you).

Adjust the clutch would be the first thing I would suggest. If that doesn't resolve the stall issue, then it's more likely a carb issue your having.

To adjust the clutch, remove the left main fairing. Loosen the clutch cable at the bars as much as possible, screw in the cable at the cover as much as possible. Remove the rubber/plastic circle cover in the center of the spocket cover. You will see a rod with outside threaded, and center a flat slot. There will be a lock nut on it. Back the nut loose, use a flat head to turn the center in until you feel resistance, then back it out 1/4 turn. Keep it in position, and tighten the nut back down to lock it in.

Then adjust the cable at the cover to tighten it back up for the primary adjustment. Use the adjuster at the bars for the fine adjustment.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Nice Kat! Try adjusting your clutch.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post back with the resolution.

Comment

I'm gonna guess your just hearing the normal sound of engaging gears and your stalling problem is carb related.. Mine did the same thing at one time and cleaned the carbs and were good to go.. Alos make sure there is no fuel in the oil... Mine also did that with the carb problem. Hope this helps
          Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Flip the petcock over to prime. If it doesn't happen anymore, it's a petcock/vac leak problem.

Don't leave the petcock on prime all the time though....
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Don't leave the petcock on prime all the time though....
              ??? fuel leak??

Comment

Yes, it can leak fuel if the floats aren't working correctly. Right down into the crank.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well, I got it to my parents house and she stalled out in the garage. We can't get it started again and all I smell is fuel. Any thoughts on where to go next? It's not leaking on the garage floor or anything, but just smells like it's flooded.

Comment

Well, I got it to my parents house and she stalled out in the garage. We can't get it started again and all I smell is fuel. Any thoughts on where to go next? It's not leaking on the garage floor or anything, but just smells like it's flooded.
                    Float valves aren't sealing. I'll bet if you pull the airbox and the carbs, your intake runners will have gas in them, or at least one of them will. Sounds like a carb rebuild is in your future.

One thing to check before then though, is that all of the vent lines for the carbs aren't kinked or blocked.

Comment

Sounds like the carbs are flooding the engine with excessive fuel. That would cause a clutch issue as well as the fuel drops and mixes with the oil.

Use prime to fill the fuel line, then turn it off. Pull the fuel line off the petcock, and blow on it. If you can move air, you have a problem with the carbs flooding and need to address the carbs.

You will also need to drain the oil, and replace it with fresh once the problem is fixed.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

We were able to get it started, but it still wreaked of fuel After flipping the petcock to prime and letting it run, I don't smell as much fuel as I did before.

I think we cross posted. So I want to pull the line off that's on the right of the pet cock? The one with the fuel filter and blow into that end and through the carbs? Will I lose a lot of fuel when I pull the line? Also, you mentioned turning it off. How do I shut off the fuel? Or did you mean turn off the bike?

Thanks for everyone's patience, this is all new to me.
                        Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 08-10-2011, 05:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

We were able to get it started, but it still wreaked of fuel After flipping the petcock to prime and letting it run, I don't smell as much fuel as I did before.

I think we cross posted. So I want to pull the line off that's on the right of the pet cock? The one with the fuel filter and blow into that end and through the carbs? Will I lose a lot of fuel when I pull the line? Also, you mentioned turning it off. How do I shut off the fuel? Or did you mean turn off the bike?

Thanks for everyone's patience, this is all new to me.

Bike off. Prime sets the fuel to run with the bike off. Any other positions fuel should not flow.

Use prime to flow the fuel to fill the line, then turn it to on. Now pull off the fuel line and blow on it. If you can move air through it... then your carbs are leaking fuel and that is causing your issues.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                            One thing to check before then though, is that all of the vent lines for the carbs aren't kinked or blocked.
                            I think you nailed it right there 05RedKat600!

We pulled the vent lines and found 3 spider carcasas and some cob webs in them. After clearing the lines, things seem much better. After a hard ride it is no longer stalling. The overwhelming smell of raw fuel is gone.

I do get a faint wiff of gas when I remove the seat and sniff around at the intake. Does that indicate a problem I need to keep chasing, or is that normal?

Thanks!

Comment

Not necessarily, you are smelling around the carburetor area, you are bound to smell a little fuel.

Did you check to make sure that the oil is not loaded with Fuel, if you were flooding becasue of the vent tubes, you may have fuel in the oil. Would not hurt to change it right away, but could cost the engine if oil is no good...
                              "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Working...
                              X