• Show
Clear All

• who knows Dodge airbags

looking for some clear answers about air bags

Brother inlaw bought a 04 Ram 1500 that was driven into a tree
    In is a super low milage, just 60K miles and its a 4WD
    Anyhow
    Both airbags have been blown
    I ordered both airbags , both seatbelt tensioners and an airbag module off ebay

The question is ? Will I need a clock spring mechanism ??
    I have been told that as long as the steering wheel mounted stereo controls still function there is nothing wrong with the clock spring

I Figure somebody here knows
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

I worked for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep.. until 1997. It is always a good idea to go ahead and change the clockspring. The chemical reaction that sets off the airbag makes the base of the airbag extremely hot. This can damage the clockspring and although it may appear to be ok now, it might not send the voltage a second time. In case, god forbid, someone gets into another accident, you want to make sure that the airbag will deploy. Not exactly where I would want to try and save some money on....
    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Considering I'm a motorcycle mechanic, I have no idea. Same with heating and air conditioning. Hemikat is an ASE auto tech, he'll probably know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
        I worked for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep.. until 1997. It is always a good idea to go ahead and change the clockspring. The chemical reaction that sets off the airbag makes the base of the airbag extremely hot. This can damage the clockspring and although it may appear to be ok now, it might not send the voltage a second time. In case, god forbid, someone gets into another accident, you want to make sure that the airbag will deploy. Not exactly where I would want to try and save some money on....
        only way to be sure is to replace it. a used not deployed one should be ok. [ASE Master tech]
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

The theory is correct, if the steering controls work then the spring is intact, but I always put them in anyways....

Dont forget you'll need front crash sensors. After you get everything put back together it will probably have to go to the dealership to have the seats recalibrated. If the passenger seat has an airbag balloon, (which I think 2004 should, but not 100%) then there are certain weights that have to be placed on the seat and then have the control module calibrated. And Chrylsers hate used modules, dont ask me why but they dont typically like to be reprogrammed.... let me know if you need any information, the guy that I work with is a 30 year master Chrylser tech.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

couldnt find any crash sensor up front during tear down
            I was also told that the seat belts cause the bags to go off
            the frame rails were not bent , the majority of the damage was rad saddle hood fenders

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
              couldnt find any crash sensor up front during tear down
              I was also told that the seat belts cause the bags to go off
              the frame rails were not bent , the majority of the damage was rad saddle hood fenders
              Apparently the front module is on the transmission tunnel, under the radio:
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I just know what it looks like when they go off and come at ya. Never let the old lady drive when off-roading again.
                sigpic

Comment

Working on air bags suck... you basically have to replace the module and then read the codes to see what faults are still present. You dont always need seat belt tensioners... you did get the right part of the seat belt? Some have the tensioner on the buckle, some have it on the retractor.

Youve got crash sensors in there somewhere, normally on the radiator core support or frame rails. They dont necesarily have to be crushed, they just read a certain "G force" and deploy the bags.

Edit: Looked on ALLDATA and didnt see any front air bag sensors, just side. The truck must use th Yaw sensor to calibrat G's and deploy the bags.
                  Last edited by HemiKat; 08-07-2011, 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                    Working on air bags suck... you basically have to replace the module and then read the codes to see what faults are still present. You dont always need seat belt tensioners... you did get the right part of the seat belt? Some have the tensioner on the buckle, some have it on the retractor.

Youve got crash sensors in there somewhere, normally on the radiator core support or frame rails. They dont necesarily have to be crushed, they just read a certain "G force" and deploy the bags.

Edit: Looked on ALLDATA and didnt see any front air bag sensors, just side. The truck must use th Yaw sensor to calibrat G's and deploy the bags.
                    its the tensioners that are locked up and there is a little charge can attached
                    the ebay seller has every thing as a "kit " 2 tensioners , 2 air bags and the module for less than $250
                    Some of his kits include the clock spring but he didnt have a grey set

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                      its the tensioners that are locked up and there is a little charge can attached
                      the ebay seller has every thing as a "kit " 2 tensioners , 2 air bags and the module for less than $250
                      Some of his kits include the clock spring but he didnt have a grey set
                      You did good. Most kits that I bought were $250 for the bags and module but the tensioners you always had to buy seperate. Youll be fine, replace what you have and see if the light clears itself.

Comment

thanks Hemi and everybody for the help
                        I think we will check the dealership for a cost on the clock spring but probably change it regardless

Comment

Make sure that you keep the battery disconnected while you do the repairs. and when you first go to connect the batt make sure you have the key in the on position. If for whatever reason the airbags are going to deploy when the system is first activated, you DO NOT want to be inside the vehicle.

Another thing, when you go to install the clockspring, make sure that the steering is set to center. And do not rotate the face of the clockspring before you install it....
                          "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Working...
                          X