X

Fuel Shut-Off?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Shut-Off?

I have a 1995 Katana 600 that I unfortunately let sit for about 1 1/2 years while I was building a garage. The fuel lines rotted-out, the carbs gummed up so it naturally would not run. I have flushed the tank, replaced the fuel / vac. lines & changed the plugs. I had the carbs rebuilt. Now I can get it to start but it seems like it is only running on two cylinders. The two pipes on the right are barely getting warm compared to the left two which are normal / hot.

My question, is it a possibility that the fuel shut-off valve on the tank is gummed up on just one of the supply lines that feed the two right carbs so they are not getting any fuel? What would be the best way to test it since it does not flow fuel without a vacuum source to the valve?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    John

Turn the valve to PRIME. Fuel will flow without vacuum.

Comment

Did not even think of that...Thanks!... So when I pull the tank & turn the valve to prime, am I correct in thinking that fuel should flow from two different nipples on the shut-off valve and flow evenly? No other crazy stuff would need to do?

Also, can the valves be cleaned out or is it a replacement/ rebuild?

I appreciate your response.
      John

Comment

Originally posted by Justaguy10825 View Post
        Did not even think of that...Thanks!... So when I pull the tank & turn the valve to prime, am I correct in thinking that fuel should flow from two different nipples on the shut-off valve and flow evenly? No other crazy stuff would need to do?

Also, can the valves be cleaned out or is it a replacement/ rebuild?

I appreciate your response.
        John
        Should flow from both evenly. If it doesn't, just rebuild it due to age. However, I think this is not your issue.

Who rebuilt the carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
          Should flow from both evenly. If it doesn't, just rebuild it due to age. However, I think this is not your issue.

Who rebuilt the carbs?

Shop in North Little Rock, "Al's Cycle Shop"

Comment

Hm...check the fuel flow, then check your coils. A lot of shops don't do the carbs right and let them soak in carb dip for 24 hours before they rebuild them, but check the fuel flow first. Also, this being a pre, did you put fuel filters back in or leave them out? You may have some crap in the float bowls that plugged up the carbs too.

Comment

Redkat is right it sounds like dirty carbs,probably blocked pilot jets.
              And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Comment

Are you positive that there aren't kinks in the fuel lines? It may that simple. I know that on my '89 I went with non-OEM lines once and they caused me a lot of grief.
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Hm...check the fuel flow, then check your coils. A lot of shops don't do the carbs right and let them soak in carb dip for 24 hours before they rebuild them, but check the fuel flow first. Also, this being a pre, did you put fuel filters back in or leave them out? You may have some crap in the float bowls that plugged up the carbs too.
                  Pre 98 carbs DO NOT HAVE FUEL FILTERS! They shouldn't be there, and don't "add" them.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    Pre 98 carbs DO NOT HAVE FUEL FILTERS! They shouldn't be there, and don't "add" them.
                    (*&%^$%^*&$%*&^%(

Mixed up with the post/pre.

Comment

Won't flow "evenly" by just removing the hoses. Instead, check flow is enough on one with the other plugged up, then check flow on the second with the first plugged up. (you can just cover the hole with your finger).

Lots of reasons it won't flow "evenly" out both sides at the same time, but it's not nessasarily the reason your having the issue... just that fuel will flow sufficiently out each.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        I am prepared to look majorly noob... I had a friend put an inline fuel filter on because my carbs kapt getting gummed up(turned out to be clear coat chipping and falling in the tank)... I didn't like the idea since I like the bike full stock but he is much more experienced with bikes than I, I've been commuting on it about a year now and haven't had any issues, so I'm wondering what typical issues come with added fuel filters?
                        95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                        Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                        ---
                        I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

I will do that... It is just strange to me that it would be two carbs side-by-side not firing. I originally thought coils but was told they are not wired to run those two cylinders off the same coil... Then when I was told that those two are fed fuel independently from the other two, I started to swing towards fuel supply.

I'm just trying to avoid a huge dealer repair bill...

Thanks again!
                          John

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                          Are you positive that there aren't kinks in the fuel lines? It may that simple. I know that on my '89 I went with non-OEM lines once and they caused me a lot of grief.
                          I'll take another look at this.. Hard to see what they are doing when the tank gets lowered. thanks for the suggestion.
                          Last edited by Justaguy10825; 08-04-2011, 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Since the carbs are what you had worked on it probably is fuel related. Mine did the same thing but the po. Had the coils wired to the wrong plugs. Left coil goes to the outside 2 cylinders(1&4) and the right coil goes to the inner cylinders (2&3) other than that I doubt its a coil. Then every other cylinder would be cold.
                            When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Working...
                            X