X

What type of clutch to buy and where?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of clutch to buy and where?

So my 89' 1100 sat for about 5 years after my brother did an endo.
    Everything that can go wrong to slow me down and buy more parts has gone wrong.
    I was going to do the relay to the coils mod but measured 11.50v stock so I skipped it! YAY!
    Rebuilt the clutch and brake master cylinder and clutch slave only to find the clutch still doesn't disengage the motor from the gears.
    Ran it for an hour on the center stand switching through 1st, 2nd and 3rd and using the rear brake to stop the wheel and kill the engine but no release.
    Changing the oil and filter and installing a new battery were the 1st things I did then a carb tune up and it starts and runs fine, except the clutch.
    I've seen different types of materials and price ranges.
    What's the good, better, best clutch materials (stock cork, kevlar, carbon fibre?) and the cheapest place to buy them ?
    Thanks in advance to everyone, only 3 weeks left till my week long trip!

Wow, really !? With all of these people and posts and no one has ever bought clutch plates from anywhere or know any of the differences in the material?

I've seen quite a few people say they've installed them and checked them but no mention of material type or where purchased. I've been looking at them from different sellers but there's a fairly large price difference and no explanation of what the materials chief benefits. I do know I'm going to stick with the stock type springs. Thanks.

Comment

What's wrong with the stock clutches? Seem to work just fine.

And honestly, if I were you, I'd be pulling a cover and checking the pushrod....you may not need a new clutch.

Comment

the clutch is just locked up.

just pull the clutch apart and free up the plates. if the steels are rusted replace them.

OEM plates are fine or go with EBC.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks for the assist guys! The rod is fine, I checked it and cleaned it when I rebuilt the slave. The stock clutch worked fine up till now when they're stuck. I did a lot more deep research last night and found out the same, stock is fine. Since I was going to open it up I figured I'd see if there were any suggestions on an upgrade part to make it stronger than stock. Like pretty much everything else you know, brakes, tires, jet kits, mufflers. Good enough for me, stock it is and cracking it open tomorrow. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X