Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Bike won't start. Thought it was battery, but...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that would mean you wouldn't have spark BTW.

Comment

kreylyn. I did check the voltage at what I thought was the coils... the wire that connects to the battery rather than the battery itself, correct? I used the multimeter to touch the wires of the battery cables just before where the metal connectors fit over the battery connectors. Is that what you mean?

arsenic:

spark test coming up. just have to get a spark plug socket tomorrow at sears!

Comment

No, what he means by testing the voltage at the coils is there are two wires that go to the coils. Test those. That is primary. The voltage at the spark plug boot, that is secondary. Actually, that is ohm resistance for the coils themselves. I'm guessing what he means is testing the voltage at the two coil wires. We'll let him explain what he means.

Comment

Chris got it... check the votage at the coils where the orange/white stripe wire plugs on them.

The coils are what the spark plug wires come out of under the gas tank.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey and aresnic! Thanks for your help. I removed the spark plugs and have attached a picture here.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
            From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
            this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

My voltage meter stopped working so I was unable to test at the coils, although I exchanged it today. Anyways, I also realized that I had thought the PRIME position of the petcock was the ON position. So basically I left it on PRIME for 3 weeks during regular use. Then the bike started dying. Could it be that the battery issue was separate and that it could have been this that caused my issues? The spark plugs are black and smell of fuel. I think I mishandled two threads, so perhaps the other thread is now more relevant, but I am thinking of doing an oil change. I also read that having the spark plugs out and pushing the bike around will be good to get extra gasoline out. Any other suggestions? I will install new spark plugs when they arrive tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X