X

no idle, not carbs... help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no idle, not carbs... help!

97 750 and I love her with all my heart! Idle has been getting worst over last week or two so I took out carbs and gave them a cleaning. Still running the same. I can just hear a tiny tick in the engine and I'm having a heart attack thinking there is some engine problem I can't repair and I'm going to have to get rid of my baby. Any advise???

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking too hear. You say it's not the carbs... yes it is. Those things are tricky little buggers. If this is your first or second time cleaning carbs, they aren't clean. Unless you know what you're doing and don't cut corners they are still dirty. Did you soak the main jets, pilot jets, needle jets, and float bowls overnight in Berryman's chem dip? Did you remove the A/F screws and blow the passage out with compressed air? Did you set the A/F screws too 2.5 turns out? Do you have any idea what I just said? If you took the float bowls off and sprayed crap at them, you didn't actually clean jack.

Comment

+ 1 for the proper carb cleaning
      also check for air leaks

For the engine noise... the more miles you put on it the more noises it will make as it wears. The most common issue it the cam chain adjuster.
      Replace it.
      or one trick I have done in the past is remove the tensioner spring bolt, remove the adjuster bolts and adjuster. Then pull out the adjuster one click/notch and reinstall the adjuster, then install tha spring bolt.
      if the adjuster is in ok shape this will work as a temp fix to help quiet down the timing chain rattle.

I would not rule out low compression affecting your idle and its something you should check
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

A tiny ticking, or sewing machine like noise is totally normal.

Do you have junk in your gas tank that could be clogging up the pilot jets?
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ok ok... I see I have much to learn! I'm 21, this is my first bike. I've had her for 3 years bit have done only minor maintenance and two quick carb cleanings. I'm a quick learner, patient, and good with my hands. My question to you gentleman is where can I learn how to do a good thorough job!? I will go back to carbs and clean them correctly but I could really use a good manual to help me out...

Comment

Carbs 101

Comment

Working...
            X