Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Dumb questions - Episode #14: Do I have oil?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like it doesn't leak. What worries me know somewhat is the chain. When on centre stand and on first gear, the wheel is turning but the chain wobbles up and down in the upper part.

The wheel does not turn at all when in neutral, but I am not sure that's not how it should be.
    GSX750F, 1998 (German market version), black.

Comment

Originally posted by lockheed View Post
      It looks like it doesn't leak. What worries me know somewhat is the chain. When on centre stand and on first gear, the wheel is turning but the chain wobbles up and down in the upper part.

The wheel does not turn at all when in neutral, but I am not sure that's not how it should be.
      Your chain is supposed to have some "free play". Too tight isnt good and too loose isnt good either. Your tire should not be moving in neutral. its NEUTRAL. Same as pulling in the clutch in gear? Basic knowledge man
      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
      Current Bikes:
      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

seriously . someone is pulling our leg hahahah this cant be true......
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I know neutral is neutral, but I have seen bikes when on centre stand and in neutral, the wheel would turn very slowly (it would not if it was on the ground).

And about the chain play I know, too, just not sure if it should be enough to generate this spontaneous wobble when the wheel is in the air.

And, by the way, if the bike is in first gear on centre stand and I pull the clutch lever, the wheel is still turning just as fast.
          Last edited by lockheed; 08-11-2011, 03:04 AM.
          GSX750F, 1998 (German market version), black.

Comment

Originally posted by lockheed View Post
            Don't get me wrong. I know neutral is neutral, but I have seen bikes when on centre stand and in neutral, the wheel would turn very slowly (it would not if it was on the ground).

And about the chain play I know, too, just not sure if it should be enough to generate this spontaneous wobble when the wheel is in the air.

And, by the way, if the bike is in first gear on centre stand and I pull the clutch lever, the wheel is still turning just as fast.
            You need to get a motorcycles for dummies book. When the bike is in neutral and the rear wheel is in the air cause its on the center stand, the vibration of the engine will make the rim turn slowly.

Wobble?

If the bike is in neutral on the centerstand, and u click it into first, the wheel may turn a bit more or slightly faster. thats fine, if the bike is in the air (rear tire) u can put the bike in gear and let the rear wheel freely rotate. thats how i lube my chain.
            I believe the free play in the chain is like 3/4" to 1"
            Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
            Current Bikes:
            1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

If your chain is wobbling or bouncing when rotatin there is an issue. It should turn smoothly going around that slow, it sounds like you have some binding. Could be a misaligned rear wheel or missing/damaged chain orings or something. Clean it and lube it, then check it again. Also check the alignment.
              Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                You need to get a motorcycles for dummies book. When the bike is in neutral and the rear wheel is in the air cause its on the center stand, the vibration of the engine will make the rim turn slowly.
                You should take your own advice and read that book. It's not the vibrations that cause it to turn. There's some amount of drag between components in the transmission, and that can transfer rotation. And as is often the case they are Constant mesh designs as well meaning the gears are in engagement, and they have to be "linked" to the output by the means of sliding collars. Basically all the gears are turning all the time.

So your clutch drags a bit even when pulled in, your gears drag a bit even in neutral, and your wheel will turn a bit, even in neutral with the clutch in.

Comment

Working...
                X