X

Pulled the carbs and found this

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled the carbs and found this

RPM's were hanging around 3k. Sometimes would idle fine and then suddenly rise to 3-4k and stay there. When I stop at a light I would have to shut the bike down and restart just to put it in gear while riding. Sprayed starting fluid around the carbs with no noticable difference so I figured no vacuum leaks. Decided to take the carbs out and clean. When i drained them the gas in 1 and 2 carbs were brown and dirty and the gas in 3 and 4 was clear and clean. Looked at the bike and this is what i saw for the number 2 carb. This is from the carb to the engine. Could this be causing my issue and why would the gas be brown in 1&2 only.
    Attached Files

Well you should probably replace all 4 intake boots then see where you are at after a good carb cleaning and plug change.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i agree clean and change all the boots

Comment

Originally posted by Legman View Post
        RPM's were hanging around 3k. Sometimes would idle fine and then suddenly rise to 3-4k and stay there. When I stop at a light I would have to shut the bike down and restart just to put it in gear while riding. Sprayed starting fluid around the carbs with no noticable difference so I figured no vacuum leaks. Decided to take the carbs out and clean. When i drained them the gas in 1 and 2 carbs were brown and dirty and the gas in 3 and 4 was clear and clean. Looked at the bike and this is what i saw for the number 2 carb. This is from the carb to the engine. Could this be causing my issue and why would the gas be brown in 1&2 only.

that would causea massive vacuum/air leak on that carb and make it very lean mixture for running... definately part of an issue.

The rust in the other carbs didnt' help at all.

I'm not going to try to explain why it seemed to be clear in a couple vs the others, but the entire carb set needs to be fully cleaned. I would pull and replace/inspect all 4 of those boots, and at the least put new o-rings on them before putting the carbs back on.

So... clean the carbs and replace any bad rubber in them, replace the boot, replace the orings on the carb-engine boots, put it all back on and sync the carbs.

As a good start.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. Was originally going to replace just the one. Cheapest I could find local was one at $38. All four at $160. Gonna look at ebay unless there are other ideas. Again thanks for your help.

Comment

With carbs, you get what you pay for. If you want cheap, they will need work.

Comment

Originally posted by Legman View Post
              Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. Was originally going to replace just the one. Cheapest I could find local was one at $38. All four at $160. Gonna look at ebay unless there are other ideas. Again thanks for your help.
              Try www.bikebandit.com for the boots, and they should come with new o-rings. Last time I bought a set they ran around $20-$25 each, but are worth the money. The problem with Ebay for rubber parts like this is you never know if what you are getting is any better than what you have.
              Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

They are four separate parts FYI. Not just four of the same part #.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

@arsenic just dont want to pay stealership prices if i can get the same quality for cheaper but I do understand and agree with your point.

@ badfaerie thanks i will look into bikebandit.

@steves i found that out when i was talking to the local guy. I was wondering why he asked me which one to which i replied "they're not all the same"

breaking the carbs down now...Carbs 101

Comment

What do you need? I can get you stuff at BETTER quality then the dealership.

Comment

@ arsenic Looking for 4 intake boots w/O-rings 95 kat 600f. D Phi D has extra o-rings for the carbs so i'm good there.

Took the carbs apart and all those parts look good. Soaking them in Berrymans. Had to drill out the brass plugs for the a/f screws. At least I know no one has been "adjusting them" in the past.

Comment

For the intake boots try BikeBandit or Ron Ayers. Otherwise you'll have to order from the local dealer. Those rubber boots aren't something I'd get on eBay.

Comment

First update...got the new intake boots installed and rebuilt the carbs according to carb 101. Soaked the parts for two days and cleaned everything good. reinstalled the carbs and reconnected all the hoses. hooked the gas up and turned her over. she burped twice and then gas began pouring out the overflows between 1&2 and 3&4 carbs. The starter turns and thats it. As long as there is gas going to it its flowing out the overflow. What is the cause of my problem.

Comment

Either the floats are set incorrectly in height, OR you need new float valves. I'm guessing it's a combination of both.

Comment

when i pulled the floats they were snug coming out and i had to use a little force to pull them out. reassembly they just dropped in and were very very loose. it was like they were just sitting there. Total opposite of how they came out.

Comment

Working...
                              X