X

noise valves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise valves?

again this is my first bike so still learning... 91 600 katana I have this noise that has gotten alittle louder over the last week or so.. I stopped riding bike for now. I thought maybe valves or low oil but not sure now. When I notices noise getting louder I also noticed #3 cylinder not firing. Fixed with wire from parts bike. riding better and whole lot smother now.. I dont think that cylinder ever worked ..idk just way faster and smother now but noise still there. When I shut bike off i noticed a noise just after the exhaust noise stops theres a little noise like the crankshaft turned one final turn. it happens in all about 1 sec.I have to be down there and listen to it but sound like that might be the same sound I here when bike is running just a lot faster. noise does go up with rpms/enginde speed.. should I here a noise from low end of engine....? but whens it running it does sond like top of engine and does seem a bit louder on right/# 3-4 cylnder side.. JUst so hard to tell where its coming from with bike running. Culd that cylinder not firng mess any thing up i engine? Is my vales shim type ot locknut type? I know I didnt give much info but like I said just hard to tell were noise is when bike running but did here that little sound near bottom of engine when I shut bike off.. like a blunt tap/thud

If you have not...

Adjust the valves, change the oil (and filter), sync the carbs.

If that does not resolve the noise issue, then check your spring on the cam chain tensioner is in spec. If out, replace it.

If that does not resolve the problem... ride it till the engine blows up and replace it.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i have done oil/filter change about 500 miles ago...i cleand n did visaull sync on carbs...i would like to do real sync and valve adjust im going to try to make a sync tool seems pretty straight forward..on a couple videos ive watched..the valve adjustment is what i need some direction on. one is shims n other is a bolt type? i have brand new feeler gauge do i need that specail tool or can i just use couple combo wrenches? i got the cycle pedia manual..its okay not great.but think i can manage...

Comment

The fsm is free to download from this site, use it.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey View Post
          i have done oil/filter change about 500 miles ago...i cleand n did visaull sync on carbs...i would like to do real sync and valve adjust im going to try to make a sync tool seems pretty straight forward..on a couple videos ive watched..the valve adjustment is what i need some direction on. one is shims n other is a bolt type? i have brand new feeler gauge do i need that specail tool or can i just use couple combo wrenches? i got the cycle pedia manual..its okay not great.but think i can manage...

A "visual" sync? You mean like a bench sync?

That's barely enough to get it running, and a full sync is definately needed. Not synced correctly will cause all kinds of running issues.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yes I believe it is called a bench sync as well.. I just followed the instructions in carbs101 section of this site.. Im going to work on the sync tool tomorrow. Have my t fitting ad tubing so just gab some lumber and see if I can get it working.. Scotty noface whats the FSM and were can I find in on here? I do appriciate ll the help guys. Think If i take dual stock exchust off my parts bike and put on my bike it will help anything or should I keep the Vance and hines thats on there. On the sync Im just measureing that all carbs arepulling the same and not how much they are pulling..I belive thats what I read and what about the Shims thing on valves .. Ive done all my own work on my cars From Brakes to tranny's and head gaskets.. I know I can do it if I had a good source..I do have anoher Question about my parts bike engine but will do another post..later..again thanks for the help..

Comment

Working...
            X