X

2006 Katana 750 Carb/Jet Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Katana 750 Carb/Jet Question

Ok guys... I'm a long time member here and have found this board to be invaluable since I've had my Kat, which I bought new in the Fall of '07 (it was the last one the dealer had). However, about a year and 5500 miles after buying it, I was tempted and swayed over to the dark side in the Fall of '08 and picked up an '02 GSX-R 1000 that only had 700 miles on it... I know it's horrible, but my Kat ended up sitting in the garage for months at a time after that. I still have both bikes and I was hoping to revive the old girl.

When I put her away year before last, I was smart enough to take all the necessary precautions (or so I thought). This Spring, I gave her a brand new battery and hoped that would be enough to make her happy again, but alas, it was not to be. I could only get her to fire up with full choke and holding the throttle open. Then I saw the gas pouring out from beneath it and killed the engine immediately. I knew it was time for a good carb cleaning.

I followed all the steps in Carb 102 to the letter, but there was something I wasn't counting on once I got into it. When I took the carbs off to clean them, there was this really nasty green sludge in all of them (I'll post some pics later -- you won't believe how bad it was) and the jets were all tarnished and green and completely clogged with some sort of what seemed like a build-up like you would see in old water pipes.

I replaced all the o-rings and did my best with the jets. Days soaking in carb cleaner and such did absolutely nothing with the crud that was clogging them up. I had to use a fine wire brush to remove the gunk from the carb bowls and the exposed metal parts. Then, I used fine copper wire to open the holes in the jets. However, I'm pretty sure they still aren't completely clean and I know they can't be flowing like they should.

I also took the liberty of throwing in a set of CR9EIX plugs while I had everything opened up. I put everything back together and she fired right up and idled with just full choke. However, that's all she would do. As soon as I tried to back down the choke, she would die. So, here's my question...

Does anybody have the full and correct specifications for ALL the jets for a fully stock '06 750? I want to go ahead and replace all of them. I have searched and read all the articles here and everywhere else I could find and I keep seeing conflicting information. I just want to get the girl back up and running and any help from you guys would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
    2006 Katana 750
    2002 GSX-R 1000

What specs do you need? Just what the jets are?
    Mains - 117.5
    pilots - 12.5
    starter jets - 50
    needle jet - P-0M
    Or just look at this:
    carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX750F Katana 750 98-06
    Last edited by arsenic; 07-24-2011, 12:47 AM.

Comment

The green crud is the stabil you added.

Berryman's carb dip will disolve it all pretty easily in about 12 hours of soaking.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1 dip the parts. regular carb cleaner just doesn't have enough kick to soften up the varnish and crud that builds up.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

+1 to Berrymans. You can get it at AutoZone for like $19.99 or some such.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys... Any chance anybody has the part numbers that go along with the jet sizes? I've found a couple of sources for the jets, but I'm not sure which part numbers they are.
            2006 Katana 750
            2002 GSX-R 1000

Comment

Mikuni jets
              main jets and starter jets:
              Mikuni N102/221 Small Round Main Jet
              pilot jets
              Mikuni N224.103 (TMX36) Pilot Jet

Comment

Dude... You are awesome!!! Thank you so much!
                2006 Katana 750
                2002 GSX-R 1000

Comment

You want to thank me? Buy a set of carbs. I already know I'm awesome.

Comment

[QUOTE= I already know I'm awesome. [/QUOTE]

When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      You want to thank me? Buy a set of carbs. I already know I'm awesome.
                      That would have been my first choice... Except I'm paying for a Chevy Suburban, the gas that goes in it, a girlfriend and four kids... You do the math. Plus, I like to know what's under me inside and out.
                      2006 Katana 750
                      2002 GSX-R 1000

Comment

This is what I found when I opened my carbs up... and I don't think it's from the Stabil, because it was only in the first carb -- but I could be wrong. Carb #2 had a little, but #3 only had a slight green tint to it and #4 was pretty much clean except for a little in the bottom of the bowl. The only thing they all had in common was that all the jets were completely blocked with a hard buildup.

Regardless, they're all getting a good dip in Berryman's, new jets and o-rings all the way around.

Thanks again for all the help!
                        Attached Files
                        2006 Katana 750
                        2002 GSX-R 1000

Comment

Yeah, that Stabil, no doubt about it.

Comment

Well, I finally got all my parts in and installed. I found all three jets and the K&L carb repair kit with all the o-rings, gasket, needle valve and needle online at a place called Morgantown Powersports (http://www.ridemps.com). I think all the parts together were $113.96 with FREE shipping.

I got everything put back together this morning, put a couple of gallons of gas in the tank, touched the starter and lo and behold, she was purring like a kitten. I couldn't resist, so I took her for a 30 mile ride. However, about 5 miles from my house, she started sputtering and completely stopped. Sure enough, I was running low on gas, so I switched over to the reserve and she started right back up. I used to average between 48-52 mpg before I put her in storage.

Just wondering... What is the correct setting on the A/F screw? I'm at 2.25 turns out right now, but I've also seen references to 1.75. I'll have to go back and look at my notes, but I'm pretty sure when I took the screws out to check them, they weren't that far out.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
                            2006 Katana 750
                            2002 GSX-R 1000

Comment

This one's still better, jus' sayin'
                              carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX750F Katana 750 98-06
                              Last edited by arsenic; 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X