X

Drilling out jets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling out jets

Now i know what all you are thinking. this guy is an idiot. well i am about this kind of stuff and im just curious if i could possibly take a small drill bit and just ream out the inside of the jets to let a "little" more fuel in. i work at a machine shop and i have an abundance of bits and have plenty of experience with my line of work. Im just wondering if it will work?

Originally posted by fandel View Post
    Now i know what all you are thinking. this guy is an idiot. well i am about this kind of stuff and im just curious if i could possibly take a small drill bit and just ream out the inside of the jets to let a "little" more fuel in. i work at a machine shop and i have an abundance of bits and have plenty of experience with my line of work. Im just wondering if it will work?
    +1
    Buy bigger jets if you want bigger jets. Don't go all hack job on them.

Comment

Is this a serious question?
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Try it out....if you screw up it's only a 20 dollar fix....
        But then it's only 20 to get new jets

Comment

It will be a tuning nightmare. I advise against it. jetsrus.com has all the jets you could need and they ship pretty quickly. Can they be drilled out?Yes. Is it worth the headache? Porbably not.
          Originally posted by arsenic
          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

No reason you can't, that's all they do, drill and ream. But don't assume that every jet size is standard drill size.
            Look at
            Deciding which main jets to buy to tune your carburetor can be a difficult task. You may not know what jet size would be a good starting point for your combination. Why buy a bunch of main jets based on a guess when you may not ever use them again? By drilling out your stock main jet to larger sizes you will be able to

Comment

You guys fail to realize that the jet sizes actually matter. They work with the needles, and pilots. You can't just drill them bigger and expect them too work. A LOT of R&D goes into this. You can't just take a random drill bit and make them better, Jesus.

Comment

1/2 inch should do it. guarantee all the fuel you can handle.
                When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

I've seen this done on an old dirtbike, but I don't recommend it. If you do decide to do it, definitely run a reamer through the hole after drilling.

Comment

You all are discussing weather it CAN be done. I ask WHY would you do it? You think you're going to improve anything? You're NOT, period.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      You all are discussing weather it CAN be done. I ask WHY would you do it? You think you're going to improve anything? You're NOT, period.
                      Let him drill the jets. Then when he comes back you can tell him to get a jet kit.

Comment

The times i've seen it done, drilling main jets was a ghetto way to get around a lean condition caused by rusty holes in the exhausts of old dirtbikes. You can keep drilling and reading the plugs by eye to get it semi close to runable. It doesn't work well, and i'm not recommending it, but it does work as a ghettoass cheap fix.

BUT it doesn't apply to this situtation. You can possibly tear your bike up. Jets are fairly cheap, and due to the info on this forum, you know exactly which one's to get, and how to tune your carbs properly. I'd do like the guys have said and buy the proper equipment.

Comment

Really? Main jets are like $15 for a set of 4.

I have reamed out jets before (with a welding tip cleaner, even), but only to get myself a ballpark of what main jets I needed to buy. If you insist on doing it, drill them out until it runs a bit rich, and then get that size main, and then keep moving down until it's perfect. Don't continue running on drilled out main jets. It's ghetto and it will make tuning a nightmare for the next owner if/when you sell it...........
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

yes you can drill them....
                            no it wont work very well.....

yes i have tried it..... and no it was not a good result. just buy bigger jets
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                            X