X

Plug Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug Problem

Ok so I'm riding to work one day and my plug wire slips off my #1 cylinder can't keep her running unless the throttle is almost half wrapped. Get to work reattach the wire to the plug and all is ok for 2 days now, today I'm riding to work same problem but this time the plug wires are all on. I look and mess with the wires and there are no bear wires no loose connections can't figure it out 20mins of trying to find something she starts running fine again.

Question I have is could the wires insulation be to thin and causing a miss fire in one of the cylinders? Or a CDI I have no clue I just need a quick fix for now.

Thanks for having a read. Keep the rubber on the road.

Unscrew the plug end and make sure all wires are in good shape and soft. If the ends are hard trim back and reattach plug end.
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Yes your leads could have cracks in them, I used big shrink wrap and re wrapped all mine which solved my arcing problem.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Thanks guys I will be wrapping my wires today

Comment

Ok well I'm still having an idle problem when the bike warms up it won't idle at a light I need to keep the rev's over 2000 or she cuts out on me sputter sputter stall. Also when riding when I was on the road last night went around the block twice in first gear it sounded like cat fighting between my knees only as the clutch engages once rolling no weird noises . I'm not sure if its vacuum and a clutch or the shifter is bent. Anyone have similar problems I'm going to take the Kat in on the weekend but if its an easy fix why waste the money.

Here is what I've done
          Put 6000kms, done an oil change, wrapped my plug wires and had the carbs done before the season started.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_92_600 View Post
            Ok well I'm still having an idle problem when the bike warms up it won't idle at a light I need to keep the rev's over 2000 or she cuts out on me sputter sputter stall. Also when riding when I was on the road last night went around the block twice in first gear it sounded like cat fighting between my knees only as the clutch engages once rolling no weird noises . I'm not sure if its vacuum and a clutch or the shifter is bent. Anyone have similar problems I'm going to take the Kat in on the weekend but if its an easy fix why waste the money.

Here is what I've done
            Put 6000kms, done an oil change, wrapped my plug wires and had the carbs done before the season started.
            I had that same problem a few years back, came to find out it was my petcock. It wasn't working right...no fuel was coming into it correctly.
            -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
            sigpic

Comment

Did you clip the last 1/2" of the plug wires and then screw the boots back on them nice and tight?

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Did you clip the last 1/2" of the plug wires and then screw the boots back on them nice and tight?

Krey
                I am with Krey on this and to add that your plug might be bad due to the missfiring because of the wire. trim the wires and change the plugs. I won't say it is something else til we know that you did what was mentioned.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

That one plug might be fouled from not firing too...
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I know the petcock needs to be replaced so ill look in to that.

I was unaware you can cut the wires to be honest how would i do that without damaging the ends?

Thanks guys gave me somethings to think about

Comment

The plug boot unscrews. Plain wire cutters to cut wire then screw boot back on. Only 1 wire inside there so really can't mess it up.
                      When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X