X

High RPM after warm up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High RPM after warm up

I have a 2000 Katana 600. It sat for 3 years before it was given to me. I cleaned carbs prior to finding you all (and carbs 101). Installed new pilot jets (stock). Drilled out brass covers over A/F screws. They were set to 1.75, 1.0, 1.0 and .25. Bike idles at 1100 but idle screw is all the way in. Can I adjust my A/F screws to say 1.75 and fine tune frome there or should I leave as it came from the factory. I want to get the idle adjustment screw backed off into a range that I can adjust if need be. Not all the way in like it is now. I will sync after. Bike revs in nuetral to around 2500 after bike is warmed up (at a stop). If I stay in gear until just before complete stop the idle will go down to 1100. Will any of the adjustments I asked about do anything to fix my rev issue?

You need Carbs 102

Comment

Originally posted by newkatride10 View Post
      I have a 2000 Katana 600. It sat for 3 years before it was given to me. I cleaned carbs prior to finding you all (and carbs 101). Installed new pilot jets (stock). Drilled out brass covers over A/F screws. They were set to 1.75, 1.0, 1.0 and .25. Bike idles at 1100 but idle screw is all the way in. Can I adjust my A/F screws to say 1.75 and fine tune frome there or should I leave as it came from the factory. I want to get the idle adjustment screw backed off into a range that I can adjust if need be. Not all the way in like it is now. I will sync after. Bike revs in nuetral to around 2500 after bike is warmed up (at a stop). If I stay in gear until just before complete stop the idle will go down to 1100. Will any of the adjustments I asked about do anything to fix my rev issue?
      Adjust all A/F screws to 1.75 turns out. Sync carbs, adjust idle while syncing. If it still won't run right, I'd say your carbs need cleaned again, or you have a vacuum leak.
      Last edited by 05RedKat600; 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM.

Comment

You should use 2.5 turns out, not 1.75

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
          Adjust all A/F screws to 1.75 turns out. Sync carbs, adjust idle while syncing. If it still won't run right, I'd say your carbs need cleaned again, or you have a vacuum leak.
          2.5 turns from lightly seated to start... 1.75 turns is very lean, and makes the bike run hot, AND the idle to hang.

as Arsenic said, read CARBS 102... check the WIKI.
          Also download the service manual if you have not already.

See My Garage for mods...
          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            You need Carbs 102
            Originally posted by jamesm113 View Post
            You should use 2.5 turns out, not 1.75
            Originally posted by JayBell View Post
            2.5 turns from lightly seated to start... 1.75 turns is very lean, and makes the bike run hot, AND the idle to hang.

as Arsenic said, read CARBS 102... check the WIKI.
            Also download the service manual if you have not already.
            Carbs 102 says 1.75 turns out....you should change it if it's 2.5 turns.

Comment

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. It's easier just to tell people it's 2.5 turns out. Carbs 101 is wrong about that too.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                Yeah, that's not gonna happen. It's easier just to tell people it's 2.5 turns out. Carbs 101 is wrong about that too.
                Yeah, I actually read both of them. Just checkin'.

Comment

Working...
                X