Overheating or Clutch Slipping?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating or Clutch Slipping?

Good Morning Everyone..
    In the last 4-5 days while riding my Kat, I've noticed 3 things that are slightly worrying...

1. it seems to be running hotter regardless of of ambient temp. While riding my legs, particularily the left one, get much hotter against the fairing. Also, it seems to radiate more heat after stopping than it used to.
    2. it seems to have less power from 4-8k than previously.
    3. a couple times when revving high it feels like something (clutch?) is slipping... for less than a second I'll lose acceleration then it will come back..

Bike is a 05 600, all stock except for a 350mm Delkevic slip-on and the factory pro shift kit. I installed the shift kit a few weeks ago, so new oil pan gasket as well...Oil level is fine, color is okay since it was just changed.

I did wash the bike a day before I noticed this but idk HOW that could cause any of these issues.. I'm thinking the clutch is slipping but have no idea why its running hot.. I've searched the forum but have not seen anything very close to this..does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be or what to check? You all have been very helpful in the past, so thanks for that and for any help you can give now!!

I think it might be running lean due to the pipe... Did you turn your air/fuel screws out? If so what are they at? Did you put a jet kit in?
    Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

I think it is running lean since there has been some decel pop since in installed the pipe, but it has been on it for at least two months and I have just noticed these issues in the last few days..

Comment

It could be 2 different problems.. just happening at the same time.. I would adjust the fuel screws out to 2.5 turns (might need more) but start there.... And fix the lean problem.. then see if the what feels clutch problem is still their... If so then tackle that.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the inpult. Definitely sounds like a good start.. lol I was hoping I wouldnt have to get into the carbs anytime soon, but oh well.. Maybe I'll go ahead and re-jet and clean them too.

If the clutch is slipping a little, is it at all possible adjusting it or the cable can fix it?

Comment

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but my bike seems to be doing the same thing. A few different symtoms though: at highway speeds, there is ALOT of vibration and high (I would say higher then normal) revs. It acts as if it isn't in top gear. I don't know the condition of the clutch and oil but the oil level is a little low.

Bike details:
            750cc
            scorpion slippon
            recent carb sync
            recently replaced a few cracked vaccum caps
            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
            -Unholy m-
            Current project: Un-Katchable
            sigpic

Comment

Go into the Katana Wiki and search Carbs 102 for cleaning.. To adjust the fuel screws you don't really have to get into them... Unless the brass plug is still there... then you'll have to remove that.

Someone else might want to chime in on the clutch problem.. I haven't had to do a clutch on mine yet.. When I raced Atv's if the clutch was slipping we replaced the plates and fibers. But not sure if this is a common problem with an easy solution.. or if it has something to do with the shift kit..

Comment

Originally posted by sky1865 View Post
                Good Morning Everyone..
                In the last 4-5 days while riding my Kat, I've noticed 3 things that are slightly worrying...

1. it seems to be running hotter regardless of of ambient temp. While riding my legs, particularily the left one, get much hotter against the fairing. Also, it seems to radiate more heat after stopping than it used to.
                2. it seems to have less power from 4-8k than previously.
                3. a couple times when revving high it feels like something (clutch?) is slipping... for less than a second I'll lose acceleration then it will come back..

Bike is a 05 600, all stock except for a 350mm Delkevic slip-on and the factory pro shift kit. I installed the shift kit a few weeks ago, so new oil pan gasket as well...Oil level is fine, color is okay since it was just changed.

I did wash the bike a day before I noticed this but idk HOW that could cause any of these issues.. I'm thinking the clutch is slipping but have no idea why its running hot.. I've searched the forum but have not seen anything very close to this..does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be or what to check? You all have been very helpful in the past, so thanks for that and for any help you can give now!!
                You're lean....adjust A/F screws to 2.5 turns out and start with that.

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
                I'm not trying to hijack the thread but my bike seems to be doing the same thing. A few different symtoms though: at highway speeds, there is ALOT of vibration and high (I would say higher then normal) revs. It acts as if it isn't in top gear. I don't know the condition of the clutch and oil but the oil level is a little low.

Bike details:
                750cc
                scorpion slippon
                recent carb sync
                recently replaced a few cracked vaccum caps
                Don't know the condition of the oil? Change it. You sound a little lean as well, but if you found cracked vacuum caps, it may be due to a vacuum leak. Check all your vacuum lines as well.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. does anyone have any input on the clutch? slip? Is a momentary slip a classic sign of the first stages of clutch failure or possibly something else? Could the low power be caused by it slipping slightly throughout the rpm range? I didn't mention the slip at high rpms has happened only within the first 5 minutes of riding and has happened 3 times I think...

Comment

Thanks for the replies.. does anyone have any input on the clutch? slip? Is a momentary slip a classic sign of the first stages of clutch failure or possibly something else? Could the low power be caused by it slipping slightly throughout the rpm range? I didn't mention the slip at high rpms has happened only within the first 5 minutes of riding and has happened 3 times I think...
                    The symptoms you are describing are not clutch related.....they point to improper float height and/or dirty carbs. Running hot, no power from 4-8K, all points to lean condition.....

If it were a clutch, your bike would rev up while in gear and you wouldn't go any faster, or slow down. You haven't said anything about that, so you are running lean.

Comment

Thanks Red, that makes sense... The reason I'm wondering about the clutch is a few times something has "slipped" for a fraction of a second when accelerating around 7-8k... It's only happened before the engine was completely warm (5-10 minutes of riding).. Is there anything else you can think of that would explain that? I really dont think its the tire as it is relatively new and I was on dry pavement....

Comment

Doesn't Hot = Running Rich?! Not trying to correct you, making sure I understand.... thnks
                        1991 Katana 750 (Red) (sold)
                        2007 GSXR 600

Comment

Thanks Red, that makes sense... The reason I'm wondering about the clutch is a few times something has "slipped" for a fraction of a second when accelerating around 7-8k... It's only happened before the engine was completely warm (5-10 minutes of riding).. Is there anything else you can think of that would explain that? I really dont think its the tire as it is relatively new and I was on dry pavement....
                          If your clutch really is slipping at that RPM range, before coming up to temp I would look at the oil you put in and make sure it's now "energy conserving". The added slickeners(?) in this type of oil will play havoc with you clutch and make it do weird stuff.

Doesn't Hot = Running Rich?! Not trying to correct you, making sure I understand.... thnks
                          Lean= running hotter. The higher the oxygen in the mixture have more complete combustion of your fuel and a hotter combustion temperature. Kinda like using bellows on a forge, but smaller and more 'splody.
                          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Katana91_750 View Post
                            Nope. Running rich = more unburned fuel, which acts as a coolant of sorts, absorbing heat and wicking it away down the exhaust pipes.

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                            If your clutch really is slipping at that RPM range, before coming up to temp I would look at the oil you put in and make sure it's now "energy conserving". The added slickeners(?) in this type of oil will play havoc with you clutch and make it do weird stuff.

Lean= running hotter. The higher the oxygen in the mixture have more complete combustion of your fuel and a hotter combustion temperature. Kinda like using bellows on a forge, but smaller and more 'splody.
                            Slickeners = friction modifiers. Ideally you want an SJ rated oil, NOT SM as are most automotive oils. These contain friction modifiers that aren't nice to wet clutches. Or so they say.

Comment

No, I just put 10w40 JASO T-903 MA2 oil in it about 1000 miles ago.. it was synthetic blend but definitely not energy-conserving..

Comment

Working...
                              X