X

Dealer Wants to Jet my Carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer Wants to Jet my Carbs

Well, as many of you know, my bike hasnt been running right since I went to adjust the A/F screws. I took it to my dealer and the guy spent ALL day playing with it and couldnt get anything out of the poor thing. He told me on the phone today that he is going to jet the carbs and see if that fixes the problem.

Now from what I have read on here, you NEVER have to jet the carbs on these bikes even with moderate work done to them. What should I tell the dealer? Put my bike back together and then take it else where?
    New Carbs and new tires makes it hard to take it easy on the throttle....

I don't know what crap you're reading. A jet kit is the number 1 best thing you can do. Do you need to? No. Should you? Hell ya.

Comment

Jet the bike... it's worth it, definately.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

no no no. He doesnt want to do a jet kit, he said he is going to bump up the jets. As far as I am aware, this dealer has no dyno, but I do know of a place that has one. The bike is running lean he said so he wants to jet it out a bit. Id rather stop him where he is at and do a jet kit myself if that is essentially what he is planning on doing. I personally still do not believe it is the a problem with the jets as the bike was running fine prior to adjusting the A/F screws. IDK though. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Sjorge3442 View Post
          no no no. He doesnt want to do a jet kit, he said he is going to bump up the jets. As far as I am aware, this dealer has no dyno, but I do know of a place that has one. The bike is running lean he said so he wants to jet it out a bit. Id rather stop him where he is at and do a jet kit myself if that is essentially what he is planning on doing. I personally still do not believe it is the a problem with the jets as the bike was running fine prior to adjusting the A/F screws. IDK though. What are your thoughts?
          Jet kit = bumping up the jet sizes.....same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
            Jet kit = bumping up the jet sizes.....same thing.
            Yeah but dont the jet kits come with adjustable needles that make a big difference?

Comment

indeed, if he's just throwing different main jets at and it took him all day to set the A/F screw, he's a tool.

Comment

Yeah but dont the jet kits come with adjustable needles that make a big difference?
                Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                indeed, if he's just throwing different main jets at and it took him all day to set the A/F screw, he's a tool.
                Both of these at the same time, but did you ask if he was using a jet kit or just throwing different mains in it?

Either way, buy the kit and do it yourself....it's cheaper.

So you adjusted the A/F screws, what else did you do? Dip and clean? Check spark plugs?

I read some of your other posts, and you mentioned a loose clamp on an airbox boot....you tighten it and it gets worse. This sounds to me like you've got a crack in that boot that's causing a vacuum leak. Have you done an ether/propane test to check for vacuum leaks?
                Last edited by 05RedKat600; 07-06-2011, 04:46 PM. Reason: read more....

Comment

I adjusted the A/F, Dipped and cleaned, brand new plugs and synced the carbs. You can only rev it a quarter turn before it stumbles on itself and wants to die. You cant even get it over 5k if you try working the throttle nice and easy. I took it to the dealer cause I thought I hurt something else, but apparently not. The Bike was running fine before I adjusted the A/F screws

Comment

I adjusted the A/F, Dipped and cleaned, brand new plugs and synced the carbs. You can only rev it a quarter turn before it stumbles on itself and wants to die. You cant even get it over 5k if you try working the throttle nice and easy. I took it to the dealer cause I thought I hurt something else, but apparently not. The Bike was running fine before I adjusted the A/F screws
                    In other posts, you also mentioned that if you tighten the clamp, you cannot sync carbs, but if you leave it loose, you can. This, to me, indicates a vacuum leak/cracked boot. The A/F screws may only be an incidental and not the real cause of the issue. How long did you let them soak? Blow them out with air afterwards? Replaced all the gaskets and o-rings? Lots of questions that I did not see answers to. Doesn't mean you didn't already answer them, just means I didn't see them.

Comment

Each body soaked for about 12 hours. They were gutted and the o rings that needed to be replaced were replaced. I had to tighten the hose clamp because i had simply forgotten to tighten it before syncing. I then re-synced afterwards. I have sprayed the boots with starting fluid heavily and have had no increases in engine RPM's.

Comment

Working...
                      X