X

1990 GSX750F Seat latch won't release

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 GSX750F Seat latch won't release

Last time I got access under the seat, I really mangled my hand reaching under the seat (had too... needed to get the helmet off the hook under the seat before I could ride home...) because the lock wouldn't release the seat.

When I got in there, I found that a piece of the plastic that holds the end of the cable jacket (that comes from the seat lock) to the latch broke and was not holding the cable in place very well.

Of course, to ride home, I had to put the seat back on and now I can't get it off, even using the previously successful (and painful) technique of reaching under the seat to coerse the latch release.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might get the seat off, given that the latch won't release the seat?

Thanks in advance!
    Suzukis rock ... and I before E except after C is weird science.

Originally posted by flight750 View Post
    Last time I got access under the seat, I really mangled my hand reaching under the seat (had too... needed to get the helmet off the hook under the seat before I could ride home...) because the lock wouldn't release the seat.

When I got in there, I found that a piece of the plastic that holds the end of the cable jacket (that comes from the seat lock) to the latch broke and was not holding the cable in place very well.

Of course, to ride home, I had to put the seat back on and now I can't get it off, even using the previously successful (and painful) technique of reaching under the seat to coerse the latch release.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might get the seat off, given that the latch won't release the seat?

Thanks in advance!
    Which latch? There are 2.

The "snap" latch with a cable pull release for the back end of the seat, and the Key latch release.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Which latch? There are 2.

The "snap" latch with a cable pull release for the back end of the seat, and the Key latch release.

Krey
      The key latch release. I found a drawing for the latch that has the plastic piece that broke (arrow added), hopefully, I've attached it here...

Also (just fwiw), I don't recall there being a cable pull release at the back end of the seat (all I ever did was turn the key and lift the back of the seat), is it possible this was added after 1990?

Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by flight750 View Post
        The key latch release. I found a drawing for the latch that has the plastic piece that broke (arrow added), hopefully, I've attached it here...

Also (just fwiw), I don't recall there being a cable pull release at the back end of the seat (all I ever did was turn the key and lift the back of the seat), is it possible this was added after 1990?

Thanks!

I guess anything is possible, but I've not run acorss a 750 Pre that didn't have both latches stock.

There were 3 points the seat "latched" in.

1. Far rear of the seat has 2 moulded in hooks that snapped onto 2 U shaped brackets.

2. Pull release cable that had a latch about halfway down the passenger seat section.

3. The final key release located right at the rear of the driver seat section (middle of the entire seat).

The pull release was just a large pull ring, hanges down on the left side about 6" or so from the tail light.

Ultimately though, if it's just the key latch that is the issue, you shuold be able to take one of the side tail fairings off for enough access to use a tool and reach in there and release the latch.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Ultimately though, if it's just the key latch that is the issue, you shuold be able to take one of the side tail fairings off for enough access to use a tool and reach in there and release the latch.
          OK, I'll give that a try.

Thanks Krey!

Comment

Working...
          X