High idle after refurbing carburetors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High idle after refurbing carburetors

Ok,

So I have a 1996 Katana 600, and after discovering, while cleaning the original carbs, that the choke tube was broken, purchased a set that was cleaned, refurbished, reset the pilot screws, the works off of ebay. I installed the carbs, checked for vaccuum leaks, and there are none, and when she starts up cold, she idles really low then stopped. So I used the choke, revved her a bit, and now she won't idle lower than 4000 rpm. I've tried adjusting the idle screw both when cold and hot, and there's no effect. There's no variation in the idle speed either when cold or hot, so I can rule out a vaccuum leak. I also checked the throttle cables, and they are returning properly. Choke is also returning properly. And these carbs are CLEANED! I'm pretty sure they're still clean.

I'm at a lost. I'm thinking this might be a carb sync issue, but I'm not sure. I know how to work electric vehicles, not ICE. If anyone has any clue, please help! It's been a year since I got her, and I haven't had a chance to ride her!
    Last edited by davekat; 06-18-2011, 07:46 PM.

It is a carb sync issue, period. Did you buy them from me? I don't remember if I've shipped any to Philly recently.
    Last edited by arsenic; 06-18-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      It is a carb sync issue, period. Did you buy them from me? I don't remember if I've shipped any to Philly recently.
      Arsenic!

Yes I did! It's me! The guy from New Jersey. I think you know now why I kept the old set of carbs, I was wondering if I did something else dumb to bust up the beautiful job you did.

Sooo, any recommendations on a homebrew carb sync? And how do I do this? I can't see how I can do this without removing the gas tank AND removing the carbs!

Comment

ok, got it. The sync ports are right on the covers. Take the tank off and use an aux fuel tank. There are threads here that explain making a homemade manometer. I've always just used a real one.

Comment

Working...
        X