• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Really Hard Starts**

ALL,

I have a 1993 600GSXF

I am having a hell of a time when starting my bike. The choke is wide open
    I have cleaned and re-jetted the carb with a factory Pro stage 1 jet kit.

I have to "turn the engine over" like 20 or 30 times.
    Once the the bike starts and warms up the problem is gone. I just recently drove the bike approximately 150 miles out of state. After the bike is running it will fire right up all day.

I have followed the Carb cleaning instructions verbatim and Factory Pro instructions exactly. Before I cleaned the carb the bike would not idle. Now the bike idles really good but I just cannot get pass getting the bike to start right up.

I'm trying to be patient and make this bike dependable BEFORE I go out and spend money on a 2011 bike

frustrating..

Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Red007; 06-17-2011, 05:08 PM.

Are you getting good spark? How new are the plugs?

Comment

Originally posted by Red007 View Post

I am having a hell of a time when starting my bike. The choke is wide open
      I have cleaned and re-jetted the carb with a factory Pro stage 1 jet kit.
      This is your problem....choke should be closed, not open.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Are you getting good spark? How new are the plugs?

Plugs are brand new, not even a week old, I just replaced them . Getting good spark from what I know. Again once the bike warns up, it fires right away.... all day... every time.... insane

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
        This is your problem....choke should be closed, not open.

You sure about that ?. I was told that the choke should be open when the bike is cold. to help with starting it.this bike is crutching me until I can fix this
        Last edited by Red007; 06-17-2011, 05:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It's not insane at all. Let me explain what's going on. You cleaned the carbs, everything the clear. So, you don't actually need the choke. The choke isn't an actual choke, it's an enricher. It just adds fuel. You don't need all that added fuel. So, you're fouling the spark plugs which is why it won't start, or is hard to start. When you ride for a long time, the plugs burn all that crap off. That's why it fires up easy. Until you choke it and foul the plugs again. So, stop doing that.

Comment

It's not insane at all. Let me explain what's going on. You cleaned the carbs, everything the clear. So, you don't actually need the choke. The choke isn't an actual choke, it's an enricher. It just adds fuel. You don't need all that added fuel. So, you're fouling the spark plugs which is why it won't start, or is hard to start. When you ride for a long time, the plugs burn all that crap off. That's why it fires up easy. Until you choke it and foul the plugs again. So, stop doing that.

LOL...I understand. So your saying that I dont need the "choke" because I have cleaned/re-jetted the carbs, and now the fuel/air mixer does not need the choke when its cold.

OK I will give that a try. although I dont think the plugs are getting "fouled" maybe the plugs are getting "flooded" LOL...

Thank you so much though Arsenic.

Comment

You sure about that ?. I was told that the choke should be open when the bike is cold. to help with starting it.this bike is crutching me until I can fix this
              It was a joke....apparently lost. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                It was a joke....apparently lost. Sorry.

My next bike will be FUEL INJECTED !!.

Comment

LOL...I understand. So your saying that I dont need the "choke" because I have cleaned/re-jetted the carbs, and now the fuel/air mixer does not need the choke when its cold.

OK I will give that a try. although I dont think the plugs are getting "fouled" maybe the plugs are getting "flooded" LOL...

Thank you so much though Arsenic.
                  No, the plugs are getting FOULED, that's what happens when you FLOOD the engine with fuel.

Comment

My next bike will be FUEL INJECTED !!.

Yeah, then when it sits all winter you can experience the joy of cleaning fuel injectors and other fun bits.

Comment

No, the plugs are getting FOULED, that's what happens when you FLOOD the engine with fuel.

OK, so do I have to replace the plugs again ?. I just changed the plugs.
                      I will leave the choke off from now on. Maybe the new plugs are ok, but I am going to make sure I leave off that damn choke..

Comment

Er, do you have the stock airbox on?
                        Is the drain plugged?
                        Are their vac leaks?
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I would replace them, but that's just me. You can probably not replace them and be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            Er, do you have the stock airbox on?
                            Is the drain plugged?
                            Are their vac leaks?

Yes it has the stock air box.

which drain are you referring to ?.

I dont believe their are vacuum leaks however, I cannot say that I am 100% sure that there is not a vacuum leak.When the bike runs it seems to run really great since I have done the carb work and the jet kit is amazing.

Side note. During my trip to Virginia, I visited my brother who owns a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja ZX R-6. We went racing for about a mile 1/2

he was no competition for me, but he does not know how to ride, we were neck and neck up to the point where we had to make a really sharp turn, I think we both were doing like 120MPh.....He almost lost his bike because he doesn't know how to ride. I leaned on the kat so hard, you would have thought my knee was licking the pavement......LOL....I'm new to bike mechanics but not riding one.

Comment

I'll almost be willing to bet $ you have a low coil voltage issue.

Pull off the tank, put a volt meter on the orange/w wire on one of your coils. Key on, what does it read? If that is under 10.5 volts, your gonna have a hard start issue.

Another quick test when cold... 2 strips of wire with female blade connectors on one end. Plug them in place of the orange/w wires on the coil. Just before trying to start the bike connect/touch the other ends on the positive post of the battery and try to start the bike.

If it starts right up... you know you have a voltage drop issue to the coils.

Relay mod is the simple fix to that.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X