X

Quick Question!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question!

Ok, bike is 02 Kat 600, which appeared to run great for a few weeks. Recently, I have had a few issues with it after riding it around town/out of town.

I have done:
    -Stock airbox/filter/jets/exhaust
    -Cleaned carbs, adjusted A/F screws to 2.5
    -Synced carbs
    -Rebuilt petcock
    -New plugs(twice)

The problems:
    -Pops on decel or after blipping throttle up hard
    -Spark plugs black and sooty
    -Idling too low (<1000)(Idle screw is turned all the way in-clockwise looking at it)
    -Exhaust smells like gas
    -Takes forever to warm up enough to ride

I noticed #1 header took a long time to get as warm as the others, which may just be a clogged pilot jet, so I'm gonna re-clean as well.

I am just confused to if I am running rich or lean. I am about to start from scratch and do it all over again, just wanting to know which I am. It seems as if I'm both rich and lean, and fixing one seems to cause another!

I'm in the home stretch, I would just like some input from the experts!

Thanks Yall!!!
    "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
    Chris
    graphic designer | drummer
    2002 Katana 600
    Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

If the plugs are black and sooty, you are rich - double check the float levels - sounds like you've got too much gas going in - that's why it's taking so long to warm the engine - you're basically washing down the cylinders, and the plugs can't cope till the cylinders heat up and help vaporize the fuel.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Thank you sir! I actually forgot to check float heights ALL the times I cleaned the carbs. Makes sense NOW that I've tried everything else.
      Chris
      2002 Katana 600
      Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

Plus, isn't 2.5 out on the A/F screws the recommendation for jetted bikes? I could be wrong, it's been a while since I had to mess with carbs on a Kat.
        Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

I have stock jets, off hand I recall 2.5, however I can check my manual when I get to the house to be sure
          Chris
          2002 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by decdrummer View Post
            Ok, bike is 02 Kat 600, which appeared to run great for a few weeks. Recently, I have had a few issues with it after riding it around town/out of town.

I have done:
            -Stock airbox/filter/jets/exhaust
            -Cleaned carbs, adjusted A/F screws to 2.5
            -Synced carbs
            -Rebuilt petcock
            -New plugs(twice)

The problems:
            -Pops on decel or after blipping throttle up hard
            -Spark plugs black and sooty
            -Idling too low (<1000)(Idle screw is turned all the way in-clockwise looking at it)
            -Exhaust smells like gas
            -Takes forever to warm up enough to ride

I noticed #1 header took a long time to get as warm as the others, which may just be a clogged pilot jet, so I'm gonna re-clean as well.

I am just confused to if I am running rich or lean. I am about to start from scratch and do it all over again, just wanting to know which I am. It seems as if I'm both rich and lean, and fixing one seems to cause another!

I'm in the home stretch, I would just like some input from the experts!

Thanks Yall!!!

Your lean.

A cold engine runs better on a rich condition. The fact that it takes forever to run = lean, as a hot engine likes lean.

If it ran great then got worse as it warmed up, that would be a rich condition.

I would clean the carbs again, pay close attention to the pilot circuits. Make sure you remove the a/f screws when cleaning. A full dip for each carb body is the best option for cleaning the pilot circuits.

A/f at 2.5 would be recomended for stock settings and the starting point for all Kats. You might have to go up further when jetted depending on the jet kit.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks once again Krey! I will be dipping tonight.
              Chris
              2002 Katana 600

Comment

Hey Krey......caps weren't on my sync tube ports........amazing how that solved all my problems, for now
                Chris
                2002 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by decdrummer View Post
                  Hey Krey......caps weren't on my sync tube ports........amazing how that solved all my problems, for now

Vacuum leaks will definately cause a lean condition...

I like easy fixes.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I LOVE easy fixes.....I'm working on my 1965 Glassmaster boat, so that freed up a lot of time and frustration that I can now spend on the boat engine!
                    Chris
                    2002 Katana 600

Comment

Hey decdrummer im new to the site and I saw your ad for the blue fairings but I couldn't respond to it or pm you yet. Im very interested in the whole set if you still have it for sale. Pm me or my email [email protected] thanks. Sorry this is off topic.

Comment

Working...
                      X