X

Main fuse pops

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main fuse pops

01 Katana main fuse pops as soon as key turned on. Disconnected red wire from main fuse to starter and it still pops fuse. I found a wire to the side stand looked like it was crushed but I disconnected it and the bike started right up. Fixed that wire and put it all back together. Got 100 feet and popped the fuse again. Pushed it home and took fairings off again. That is where I am now with the red wire going to the starter disconnected still pops fuse. Any ideas?

Trace the wires until you find the one that is shorting out. Look where it could be rubbing on the frame or both coming off the battery.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I would look at your wires coming to/from your alternator.... Had the same problem. Came to found out that the alt went out on me.

Comment

Found wire

Well after a lot of cussing and wire chasing around I decided to pull the main fuse box from my son-in-laws bike and stick it in the other bike to test. With the starter disconnected and the alternator wires disconnected turned key on and "pop". So I stuck another fuse in and wiggled some wires, turned key on again and popped again but I saw smoke this time coming from harness that goes up the right side of the frame and up to the front of the bike. Traced it over and it is the orange wire going up to the ignition switch. Repaired it, electrical taped it and put a rubber buffer around the wires. Looks like it is where the fairing presses the wiring against the frame and it wore through. Took it for about a 2 mile ride with no fairings, waiting for it to cool back down and will put it back together. Also have to put S-I-L's bike back together. That one will be easy though.

Comment

Working...
        X