X

92 katana 750 erratic idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 katana 750 erratic idle

Just bought a katana 750 and it was having issues starting and running. The main fuel line was junk so I replaced that and also cleaned the tank and fuel petcock. Put some seafoam on the tank and got it start and run but the idle will not stay put. When I adjust the idle screw to get it right it then jumps way up or down and stalls. I cant seem to get it steady. Don't know if that sounds like a vacuum issue or carb issue or both. Bike runs fantastic just can't get the idle right. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by suzkat92 View Post
    Just bought a katana 750 and it was having issues starting and running. The main fuel line was junk so I replaced that and also cleaned the tank and fuel petcock. Put some seafoam on the tank and got it start and run but the idle will not stay put. When I adjust the idle screw to get it right it then jumps way up or down and stalls. I cant seem to get it steady. Don't know if that sounds like a vacuum issue or carb issue or both. Bike runs fantastic just can't get the idle right. Any suggestions?

You mean both main fuel lines? There are 2.

Sounds like you need to clean the carbs fully by disassembly and dip in a carb cleaner dip.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well I just replaced the main fuel line not the one that is used for the prime position. When the bike is about to die and I give it some gas it revs way up but the throttle isn't sticking. Is that something inside the carbs sticking? I am a do it yourselfer but I don't know much about bike carbs.

Comment

it has 2 main fuel lines duder. 1 for carbs 1 & 2 and another for carbs 3 & 4.

Comment

Carbs get dirty. The fuel will leave a varnish that eventually builds. It will cause blockages or reduced flow. This will cause problems with the bike running.

They need to be pulled off the bike. Fully disassembled. Cleaned with a good carb dip. Reassembled while checking and replacing bad parts like old/cracked/dry rotted/broken/flatened/mishapen orings.

It just needs to happen.

Carbs 101 in the wiki details how to do this, so you have a step by step guide. Download the PDF and you have pics to go with.

Read some other things in the wiki as well... like info about the petcock, connections, airbox, etc... It will help answer questions that come up later.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Did clean out petcock and tank so carbs it is!

Comment

Working...
            X