X

Whirring noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirring noise

My '99 600 engined '95 kat has started making a whirring noise. Recently replaced chain set, but been over all the checks with regards that; tension is fine, alignment looks straight & chain is well oiled. Noise only occurs on load/acceleration; can't hear it when the bike is running stood on the stand throughout all gears. Engine has done 23k, the last 3 by myself. Gear changes are generally all fine, no popping out of gear, although I've very rarely hit a false neutral between 4th/5th. Any pointers to where to start looking much appreciated.
    Dave.

Double check the alignment of the chain - do not rely on the swingarm marks - they are close but not accurate. Measure from the center of the front pivot to the center of the axle on both sides.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Your chain is too tight.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        Your chain is too tight.
        +1

Comment

if your using aftermarket sprockets its likely the new front sprocket.

the OEM sprocket has rubber dampeners on each side that reduce noise and vibrations
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Chain definitely not too tight, if anything it's a little slack; I re-adjusted it on the slack side already to eliminate that possibility. Yes, using aftermarket sprockets, although the last set were the same. Will double check alignment & post back.
            Thanks fellas.

Comment

this method is accurate:

Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Not been using the bike, so this has been on hold, but got round to checking the alignment properly & everything checks out. Tried string method, looked along chain from the back, measured pivot to axle both sides; all fine. Chain has correct slack; I've run it near the point of chain slap to ensure it's not that before adjusting back again. Will look to check on the front sprocket for any freeplay, although I don't recall there being any on installation (side panel removal yet again, wahey!).
                Unfortunately, I can't hear the whirring unless accelerating, so without a rolling road it's not been possible to listen around the engine with a pole to see if I can pinpoint the source. Perhaps I should fit my helmet with a stethoscope?!
                Any other suggestions much appreciated!

Comment

Have you got a centerstand? If so, you could try running the bike in gear with the rear wheel off the ground to see if you can isolate the noise.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yes, also tried that & can't hear the noise right up to top gear! Wondering if I can somehow create a makeshift rolling road & apply some resistance to the back wheel?? Will check the front sprocket first though...
                    Cheers to all for the input.

Comment

Possible you've got a broken belt in the rear tire. Any bulges on it?
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Rear tyre has been replaced since the noise appeared - eliminates that possibility.
                        Now checked front sprocket & nothing appears loose. Additionally, went for a ride the other day & felt a hell of a lot of heat from the engine. Could the whirring possibly be a bearing somewhere in the engine; oil pump etc.? Where do I start with that?!! !
                        Last edited by Didj; 07-23-2011, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Hi, I'm having the same issue. My noise I can hear if the bike is in neutral and i spin the wheel on a center stand or if I hit the kill switch and coast the bike with the clutch in. It's coming from the front sprocket. If I remove the chain I can still hear it when I spin the crank sprocket and this worries me. Not sure if its in the transmission or the sprocket bearing. With the clutch assembly removed I can see a bearing on the clutch cover side, but only a seal on the crank sprocket side. (I am viewing the crank side from the outside so this would make sense but I'm wondering if there is a bearing behind that seal)

Related symptoms? The bike has what I would consider a wicked vibration on coast or deceleration after 5k rpm. Acceleration is fine up to 9k ( I haven't tried past that) but as soon as I let off the throttle I have a bad vibration but I push in the clutch and its gone. My chain might be too tight and my alignment maybe off. Going to recheck these. After all it didn't do it before I adjusted the chain and I forgot about that b/c I painted the fairings and tank and the same time...

HOPE THIS HELPS! Anyone that could further help me would be greatly appreciated and if anyone thinks I've done bearing damage please let me know. I was going to replace the clutch frictions and steels but everything measures fine. Not sure but the color looks like it may have gotten hot before.
                          Last edited by turboboxer6spd; 09-22-2011, 01:39 AM. Reason: added info
                          sigpic
                          1992 Kat 600

Comment

Working...
                          X