X

Idle hangs at 4000...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle hangs at 4000...

I have a 93 600 - jet kit, k&n filter with a Vance & Hines SS exhaust.. new plugs and added a relay on the coils.

I have gone through the carbs 3 times and just can't seem to get her running right...

She startes up great, but just does not seem to idle right. I start her with the choke open... let it run a bit to warm it up then shut off the choke. I think I have idle set to about 1100-1200. When I think, if I can get it to idle that low I am able to adjust it to within that range, but once I blimp the throttle, she revs then hanges at 4000, give it a bit more throttle and she revs and then drops back to 4000. If I let she set there at 4000 for a bit, it eventually drops back down to where it was set or dies, but then hangs again if I blimp the throttle..

Do I need to sync? or more cleaning needed? Sparying starting fluid around the carbs do not seem to change things..

Change the oil?

One aquaintance says go back to stock on the carbs..

Time to give up on these carbs and get another set..

What do the pros think.. please advise... close to walking away from her and don't really want to...

- eric
    misery loves company...

Loose the K&N.

Comment

You have to sync the carbs or you could have a hanging idle.

Even with that fixed, your bike still will have some issues with the K&N filter, but the hanging isn't that specificaly I don't think.

OEM filter and airbox will work much better for you.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What causes the throttle to hang?

I can turn down my idle screw a bit more so that it doesn't hang, but then it ends up dying because the idle is too low.

Can't seem to get it right. (And when I ride it for a while, it hangs worse because its so warmed up - Hangs around 2000rpm then comes back down)
        1999 600 Katana
        sigpic

Comment

A lean condition.

Comment

You're running really lean. The K&N isn't helping and you may be looking at an air leak but chances are your pilot circuits are still dirty.
            When you cleaned the carbs did you soak them or just spray cleaner through?
            Did you pull the A/F screws?

IOW, did you go the whole nine yards? If not then you haven't really cleaned them.
            Cleaning carbs is kinda an all or nothing job.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ok.. the k&n is gone...
              I did not soak them... just lots and lots of spray cleaner.
              I did pull the A/F screws and clean that real good..

I knew this was coming.. I guess they are coming back off once more, completely disassembling them and soaking everything in my "dip"... didn't really want to go to that extreme.. but sounds like I kinda have to...

or buy a rebuilt set from the master....

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              You're running really lean. The K&N isn't helping and you may be looking at an air leak but chances are your pilot circuits are still dirty.
              When you cleaned the carbs did you soak them or just spray cleaner through?
              Did you pull the A/F screws?

IOW, did you go the whole nine yards? If not then you haven't really cleaned them.
              Cleaning carbs is kinda an all or nothing job.
              misery loves company...

Comment

Update!

Something is wrong with the carbs - I completely disassembled them - soaked all the jets, tubes and bodies in carb cleaner over night... blew them out with air, new o-rings, gaskets, etc.. I mean I did everything and replaced everything... and still same freaken crap..

So I took the other set of carbs that I have - off the 89.. blew them off with air - tighted some loose screws and put them on the bike...

She is running... idles and no hanging... just need to maybe sync them and that is it.. but I am not sure where the hoses go to sync them on the 89 set... there are no ports on the tops.. suggestions?
                misery loves company...

Comment

The 88-89 carbs have the ports on the intake boots. They aren't on the carbs. Not to mention they are different carbs entirely.

Comment

Yes, I know they are totally different carbs.. I didn't want to use the 89 pairs .. I put them on to see if there was an issue with the motor or something else going on. They are on the bike and it was running until the throttle cable broke..

Now I have to save some cash and get another set..

Maybe I need to change the boots then.. I did not..

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    The 88-89 carbs have the ports on the intake boots. They aren't on the carbs. Not to mention they are different carbs entirely.
                    Last edited by misery; 07-15-2011, 12:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    misery loves company...

Comment

Yeah, if you have the 88-89 600 intake boots, throw them on the engine for now. That's the only way you can sync them.

Comment

Working...
                      X