X

Ticking/ Tapping sound from engine!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticking/ Tapping sound from engine!!

My '92 Kat 750 has a ticking/ tapping sound comming from the engine. I have had the valves done by a shop and they say it is normal for the bike!! My question, is it?? Or did they F*** it up?
    Ride hard or stay at home
    I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

They didn't **** it up, they just did it wrong. So, they ****ed up, they didn't **** up your engine. It's screw tappet adjustments. I could do that in my sleep. Do it yourself, it's hella easy.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      They didn't **** it up, they just did it wrong. So, they ****ed up, they didn't **** up your engine. It's screw tappet adjustments. I could do that in my sleep. Do it yourself, it's hella easy.
      or, if they did it wrong, take it back and make them do it right.. it should have a sewing machine noise, not a loud distinct tapping clatter.

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by Katboy View Post
        My '92 Kat 750 has a ticking/ tapping sound comming from the engine. I have had the valves done by a shop and they say it is normal for the bike!! My question, is it?? Or did they F*** it up?

It's possible the valves are adjusted right, but the timing chain is not as tight as it could be. The tensioner stock is an auto spring tensioner, and sometimes the spring needs to be replaced due to wear and tear.

Some people suggest a manual tensioner... but you have to add adjusting it to your routine, and it's not a simple procedure since you have limited access without removing the tank/airbox when adjusting it.

The spring is not very expensive to replace.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post

So it needs an other Valve adjustment?

I will try to fix the adjuster first. Can't hurt it any more,,
          Last edited by Katboy; 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM.
          Ride hard or stay at home
          I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

Comment

That or what Krey said.

Comment

dont forget to buy a new washer with that
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
              X