X

front brakes locked up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front brakes locked up

My front brakes locked up today when I was pulling into my driveway at about 10 mph.. I didnt press them hard and I live on a somewhat dirt road.. I dont kno what caused it.. I had to bleed my brakes to get it in the driveway.. any ideas?

Grooved caliper pins would make sense if you had grabbed a handful of brake.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Also, I'm not sure if this applies in your situation, but:

Never use your front brakes with your wheel turned. (It will generally lock up and you will wipe out)

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the part where you said you had to bleed them to get in the driveway, sorry
      Last edited by Gold; 05-22-2011, 05:55 PM.
      1999 600 Katana
      sigpic

Comment

Is your brake lever OE?
        I've had similar experiences with aftermarket no name levers which doesn't allow the master cylinder to retract fully due to poor tolerances.

Or perhaps an internally collapsed brake hose?

Comment

Yes they are OE.. wheel was slightly turned but I have never had problems before.. Driveway is on a angle and steep..

Comment

The cup and piston set in the front master cylinder could be at fault. Wouldn't hurt to replace it. Hone the master cylinder also.
            PISTON/CUP SET
            Or just say **** it and buy a Brembo 19x18/19x20 RCS Brake Master cyl. with mounting kit.
            BTW, I have one of those on the Super Tuna.
            Last edited by arsenic; 05-22-2011, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Wow! For that price it better do the braking for you... and make lunch, too.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

So much stuff it could be, depending on year and maintenance.
                I've seen the return hole on the master cylinder clog up so that brake fluid was unable to return to the master cylinder. The hole clogged up due to really old brake fluid combined with lack of use.
                I've seen brake hoses colapse internally, allowing pressure to get to the caliper, but not return.
                I've seen what Arsenic mentioned.

Time to start pulling stuff apart and rebuilding until you find out what the problem is. DO NOT ride until you get this fixed.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

thanks.. thats my task for todays day off.. fix this problem

Comment

Alright I took them apart cleaned everyhting.. bled them completely.. rode up and down my street they were fine and then I tried to take her out again and they locked again.. you think the hose collapsed?

Comment

i've had this problem. It was a damaged lever that did not allow the return hole to bleed pressure. has this bike been dropped or leaned against something?

Also, i hear that inside the calipers, behind the o-rings that seal the pistons, a white-crud build up can make the same thing happen.

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
                        i've had this problem. It was a damaged lever that did not allow the return hole to bleed pressure. has this bike been dropped or leaned against something?

Also, i hear that inside the calipers, behind the o-rings that seal the pistons, a white-crud build up can make the same thing happen.

yeah it fell on the trailer during moving.. but has been riden since then and no problems... its just weird.. I think im just gunna replace the lines and calipers and master cylinder.. that way I dont have to worry about it

Comment

Working...
                        X