X

Instructor Says...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instructor Says...

Well, not my instructor, but a instructor from the MMI School down the street from mine says sometimes to unclog a somewhat dirty carb, you can high rev the bike and then jam a rag over one of the carbs, creating a sort of vacuum in the circuit? If it works, I might consider it, but I kinda want a few opinions first. I have an idea of how carbs work, but I only have like a couple months of experience with them, figured I would ask the guru's on here for their opinions

He teaches at MMI, that school is a complete joke. Enough said. The "theory" is correct, but if your not a lazyass and actually take them apart and clean them, that unclogs them too.

Comment

ever have a rag sucked into a car carb? if your lucky like me ( old chevy 350 built for off road with oversized valves) it will blow out the exhaust. Bike valves aren't that big so if you try it hold on tight.
      When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        He teaches at MMI, that school is a complete joke. Enough said. The "theory" is correct, but if your not a lazyass and actually take them apart and clean them, that unclogs them too.
        I've taken them out and apart 5 times this past month, I feel like I'm not doing something right so I thought I might as well give it a try...I'm getting lazy, haha

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
        ever have a rag sucked into a car carb? if your lucky like me ( old chevy 350 built for off road with oversized valves) it will blow out the exhaust. Bike valves aren't that big so if you try it hold on tight.
        Thanks for the heads up! haha

Comment

+1

The instructor needs to go back to school though i'm guessing he bangs on the side of the tv still.

Don't be lazy best bet is to take them off and clean them.

Comment

Originally posted by latendresse76 View Post
            +1

The instructor needs to go back to school though i'm guessing he bangs on the side of the tv still.

Don't be lazy best bet is to take them off and clean them.
            what really gets me is the idling, and the choke, it could just be bad parts, I'd like to not think its dirty, seeing I got a shop to "supposedly" soak them in a carb cleaner tank, I just got some cash, depositing soon, and then I'll have to order some new parts and go from there

Comment

When I clean carbs I soak them overnight and then go through each passage with spray and compressed air. If I can't get the holes opened perfectly I run a wire brush bristle through them. Be careful though, you don't want to distort the jets and other offices.

Comment

Comment

its been done with cars but ive never heard it working with a bike carb... the jets and passages are so m uch smaller
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I think HD and I should enroll at MMI. Just so we can tell the instructors they are wrong and prove it.

Comment

`
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I think HD and I should enroll at MMI. Just so we can tell the instructors they are wrong and prove it.
                        I support this plan.
                        Nuff said.

Comment

`
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

No, we're not forgetting. That's just a lame statement. Especially when mechanical instruction needs to be hands on.

Comment

This has to be one of the dumber ideas I've heard. What's the max vacuum pressure stuffing a rag into the carb could make -8psi? A cheap hooker could suck harder than that.
                              Take the carbs out and blow out the crud with +50 psi.

Comment

Working...
                              X