X

Runs for 30 mins then dies...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runs for 30 mins then dies...

A friend of mine is selling a 1994 gsx600f with 24k. It runs for about 30 mins then dies out, leave it for 5 mins and itll crank back up and run for another 30. Ive been looking for a project and wanted to know if this is a common problem and if it's an easy fix. Ive read alot but cant find a definitive answer. Any ideas would be awesome thanks.

Originally posted by Big_kat View Post
    A friend of mine is selling a 1994 gsx600f with 24k. It runs for about 30 mins then dies out, leave it for 5 mins and itll crank back up and run for another 30. Ive been looking for a project and wanted to know if this is a common problem and if it's an easy fix. Ive read alot but cant find a definitive answer. Any ideas would be awesome thanks.

Vacuum line on the petcock bad or not hooked up, bad petcock (rebuild kit is $25), fuel lines kinked or partially blocked, wrong/incorrect/has an inline fuel filter (should not have one at all), or....

some other issue that is causing the fuel flow to be slightly slower than the bike is using when running. It's running out of fuel in the carb bowls to run, but filling back up when you let it sit for 5 mins... so you start over agian.

yes, simple fix once you narrow down the specific issue.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks, is there anything else i should look for before I buy? It's gonna be my first bike.

Comment

Ideal scenario: take a trustworthy aid along who is familiar with motorcycles inside and out to check it and ride. But if you like most of us, ideal scenarios are just sweet dreams...

I am not an expert nor a mechanic so i cant tell you exactly what should be done, but these are the things i should have done when i bought my last bike; check inside the tank for rust (a flash light will help), ensure the forks are straight, check the frame for cracks and deformities (my frame had a break at the wield under the seat), and a good test ride. when i bought my first bike the seller was hesitant till i let him hold my licence. If you are not comfortable riding. dont, that biker friend would come in handy to test the shifting and how it feels at different speeds. Thats my two cents and a half. Good luck....and be safe.
        a voice came to me and said, sacrifice that which you love the most (my girl and my bikes)
        so i lied and gave up my girl.

Comment

Went to go ride it and the clutch is pretty much shot. Is this something i should get into or more trouble than its worth? Whats a good price for this bike in its current condition?

Comment

$500

Comment

i would be willing to pay 3-400 depending on how the fairings are.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_kat View Post
                Went to go ride it and the clutch is pretty much shot. Is this something i should get into or more trouble than its worth? Whats a good price for this bike in its current condition?

Clutch is shot?...

How do you mean?

If it's a project, I would not pay more than $500...

I got this for $400, no engine probs, needed some cables, put nice bars/bar ends on it, carbs cleaned, and front forks.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                X