No announcement yet.
X

starter dead? blown fuse or something?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter dead? blown fuse or something?

hey all, just got help from the forum for getting my girl running, after two carb cleans (one halfass one) new plugs and much stress got her going, spent the day riding her around.

Last few times I parked and started her up though I'd hit the start button and nothing would happen... hit it a few more times and then she'd start up and go no problems.

Just got home ran in for a snack, went out to start her and now nothing happens at all. Battery is fine, lights come on and everything charging system is good, but the starter doesnt go.

Because it happened kind of gradually like that I was thinking it was a lose connector or something that got shook loose so I followed the line and tried to tighten everything up, but no dice.

I'm going to work through the manual but does that sounds really familiar to anyone?

One final note: to get her running I was trying not to overheat the starter, firing for 10 seconds or so then letting it cool off... to get it started my friend ran it for a WHILE, like a good 20-30 seconds. Could I have fried the starter? would it die gradually like that?

Cheers

More likely to be either a bad battery or the clutch safety switch. I'd start by charging the battery overnight and see if that fixes it.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I think you may have corrosion in your start button. Check that before going nuts on the starter.
      Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

oh yea I should have mentioned, I did the sprockets too and was messing around in the clutch assembly and adjusting the clutch wire... what's the clutch safety switch and where is it? that's so that you can't start without the clutch in, yeah?

I'll crack open the electronics on the bar after I check this clutch safety button because that sounds like something I could have messed up.

battery is fine though, putting out lots of juice and it was charging all day when I was riding it

edit: the bike is in pretty good shape I'd be surprised if it was corroded, but that's my #2 suspect atm

Comment

Maybe not corrosion, but I have also seen spiders crawl up in there ans nest
          Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

lol yea found one in the clutch assembly yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by 5forty2 View Post
              Maybe not corrosion, but I have also seen spiders crawl up in there ans nest
              I hate spiders! I have cob webs in my headlight assembly... One day I might pull the bulbs and try to blast them with a bit of compressed air.

And if your description of original problem is accurate and you say you needed to mash the starter button multiple time to start, I would say start there... Unless you put the kick stand up and down each time or depressed the clutch and released it every time you hit the button.

Comment

Originally posted by htedro View Post
                oh yea I should have mentioned, I did the sprockets too and was messing around in the clutch assembly and adjusting the clutch wire... what's the clutch safety switch and where is it? that's so that you can't start without the clutch in, yeah?

I'll crack open the electronics on the bar after I check this clutch safety button because that sounds like something I could have messed up.

battery is fine though, putting out lots of juice and it was charging all day when I was riding it

edit: the bike is in pretty good shape I'd be surprised if it was corroded, but that's my #2 suspect atm
                clutch safety switch is located on the left handle bar underneath. You should see two screws, (atleast thats how its on my 95 kat 600) when opening this make sure to have your hand ready to catch the little piece in there it may fall out. if u want you can follow the wires and just bypass the switch all together i did and have run into no problems. (I am used to pulling the clutch in when starting so just in case i am in gear she wont take off on me) good luck and keep us posted
                J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

Clutch saftey switch at the clutch lever.

Side stand saftey switch on the sidestand.

Neutral Switch (working in conjunction with the others) not quite right.

Starter button not making proper contact when pressed (dirt, corrosion, bugs).

Loose connection on the battery, starter relay, or starter.

BTW... when you fix this issue, if the bike won't start with less than 3 seconds on the starter button... you still have an issue.

Krey
                  Last edited by Kreylyn; 05-21-2011, 07:22 AM.
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

cheers for that starting point Krey, it started raining like crazy but I'm going through the wiring diagrams in the manual, will start testing once the rain lets up. Also when she was starting, it was starting nearly immediately; the carbs need to get synced but otherwise she was starting and running great

Thanks Cheetor, that's what I'll try first

Comment

so yea it was the clutch safety switch, but wasn't the switch's problem per se.... the clutch was adjusted too tight and I guess it was tripping the switch. not sure why it would get progressively worse like that though... at any rate, was an easy fix, just loosened up the cable and it went

thanks for the help all, knowing where to look made it a 5 minute fix <3

Comment

Working...
                      X