help getting her starting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    12v is low on the battery.

What about at the coils when the switch is on?

Krey
    True, maybe the coils are going bad. IMO I would start on page 4-1 of the repair manual go go step by step.
    '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

Originally posted by rob845 View Post
      True, maybe the coils are going bad. IMO I would start on page 4-1 of the repair manual go go step by step.

Not nessasarily bad coils, but if the coils are not getting enough power you will have a weak spark issue.

Starting with 11.XX volts as soon as you put the key on, headlight comes on and drops another 1 -1.5 v that gets to the coils... so that puts you really close to the minimal of 10.5 volts at the coils.

If you add in the starter, that can drop the V even further to the coils. next thing you know is you have 9v at the coils so they are not giving enough of a spark while the engine is turning over with the starter.

It would turn and turn, but not hit... or only hit on cylinder once in a great while but still not start.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I've got the battery on the trickle I'll post when I try it again

Comment

Originally posted by htedro View Post
          I've got the battery on the trickle I'll post when I try it again

You could still have the low voltage to the coil issue even with a fully charged battery.

Really... should check the voltage there.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

oh yea I figured, but I didn't want to mistake low voltage at the coil for a problem after beating the crap out of the battery with the starter...

well I did get her running... friend came over and ran the starter for a long time, like 20-30 seconds, and she finally coughed to life... i was keeping it under 20 seconds. which leads me to my next problem haha, please see the link, I'll edit it in once I make the new thread

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
            From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
            this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

thanks for the help on getting it going, all- much appreciated
            Last edited by htedro; 05-20-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X