noob question... Starting.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question... Starting.

Hey all,

Is it odd that i don't have to use the choke to start the bike? I mean ever... Its 43 degrees outside and it just starts up... sometimes takes a few min for the rpm's to stop bouncin but it never really needs to warm up much. I'm just wonderin if somthing is wrong. thanks!
    1991 Katana 750 (Red) (sold)
    2007 GSXR 600

Originally posted by Katana91_750 View Post
    Hey all,

Is it odd that i don't have to use the choke to start the bike? I mean ever... Its 43 degrees outside and it just starts up... sometimes takes a few min for the rpm's to stop bouncin but it never really needs to warm up much. I'm just wonderin if somthing is wrong. thanks!

Any other "symptoms"? Low gas mileage, bogging down at certain rpms, heavy carb deposits, black smoke out the tail pipe?

If No other symptoms, then enjoy!... it's not a problem by its self.

krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hey Kray,

yeah there is a very pungent gas odor... When I first brought the bike home it had been left on PRI so I turned it to the ON position. The smell stopped moving into my house but the garage still smells like gas. Thanks for you help man...
      2007 GSXR 600

Comment

It's possible you have a issue with the float needles not sealing off properly. Leaving it on prime would have allowed fuel to flow. A sealed up system could have kept the fuel inside and flooded the oil in the crank case.

If it's a new to you bike and you have not...

I would suggest doing an oil change. If your have a fuel smell to the oil, you will need to pull the carbs and clean them and then test the float/float needles are working right.

krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          It's possible you have a issue with the float needles not sealing off properly. Leaving it on prime would have allowed fuel to flow. A sealed up system could have kept the fuel inside and flooded the oil in the crank case.

If it's a new to you bike and you have not...

I would suggest doing an oil change. If your have a fuel smell to the oil, you will need to pull the carbs and clean them and then test the float/float needles are working right.

krey
          Yeah, not quite to that level of knowledge yet, looks like i'm going to be taken her into a shop once we have a nice day (Ohio still sucks weather wise). Thanks for the advice Krey!
          2007 GSXR 600

Comment

Hey Katana91_750...just wanted to say hey from up north. I am in the Akron/Canton area. Several guys on here are talking about an Ohio meet and greet ride. Keep your eyes open for that.

Comment

I'm better then your dealer at carb rebilds. I can do it for you. Does your dealer make them look like this:

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                I'm better then your dealer at carb rebilds. I can do it for you. Does your dealer make them look like this:
                ...no, they didn't -.-

Comment

Those carbs look awesome! My bike bogs when cool, but is fine after warming up to full operating temps. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by tdecker View Post
                    Those carbs look awesome! My bike bogs when cool, but is fine after warming up to full operating temps. Any thoughts?
                    well im no expert like arsenic or krey but my bike did the same thing so i cleaned them and runs a whole lot better. but im still thinkin on buyin a set from arsenic on princpal just from his rep on carbs. cuz i still have issues some time, i think im still runnin lean but i still have a STRONG gas odor like im runnin rich so.

Comment

Cool. The buddy I bought it from had the carbs redone at a local dealer, but I doubt they did them right if at all. They also said they put an online fuel filter, but it must be invisible cause i've had all the plastic and tank off. No filter to be found. How much are his carbs? I know how to clean and rebuild carbs but don't have the sync tool.

Comment

It's lean. Lean engines run better hot.

Originally posted by HOOK50 View Post
                        well im no expert like arsenic or krey but my bike did the same thing so i cleaned them and runs a whole lot better. but im still thinkin on buyin a set from arsenic on princpal just from his rep on carbs. cuz i still have issues some time, i think im still runnin lean but i still have a STRONG gas odor like im runnin rich so.
                        Lean or rich, you get a stong odor as the a/f mixture is not right and won't fully combust in the engine. So some fuel is pushed out. Generally, unless your seeing lots of carbon (black smoke) or seeing liquid fuel being blown out the tail... it's a lean condition your smelling.

Cool. The buddy I bought it from had the carbs redone at a local dealer, but I doubt they did them right if at all. They also said they put an online fuel filter, but it must be invisible cause i've had all the plastic and tank off. No filter to be found. How much are his carbs? I know how to clean and rebuild carbs but don't have the sync tool.
                        If the carbs were cleaned but not synced when installed, then your leaness issue could be as simple as the sync not right.

There are alternatives to make a sync tool if you dont' have the $ to spend. $5 gets your bike running better.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

How much does something like that cost?! How hard would it be to install/uninstall after I recieved them? I'd never too apart the Carbs but the guy who sold the bike to me said they were just rebuilt but I too have a strong gas odor.

Thanks arsenic!!!
                          2007 GSXR 600

Comment

$200 labor, plus parts, plus return shipping. Somewhere around $325-$350 depending how much crap you need. What usually works better is if you buy a set that already rebuilt and ready to go. Then you send me your set as a core, and I refund you money as a core.

Comment

$200 labor, plus parts, plus return shipping. Somewhere around $325-$350 depending how much crap you need. What usually works better is if you buy a set that already rebuilt and ready to go. Then you send me your set as a core, and I refund you money as a core.
                              This is the issue that i can see w/ a flash light... I'm not 100% sure which side the left side would sit when installed (Clutch Side) so I have highlighted both sides of the picture but I notice a little fuel residue but I haven't filled her up in a few days/weeks. I'm thinking there must be a gasket or something that's old/not sealing.
                              2007 GSXR 600

Comment

Working...
                              X