X

Pre 600 dies after several minutes of running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No pic.

Those two lines are vents. They don't go anywhere and I usually just turn them so the openings face down and do without the tubing.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Huh. Well that answers my question, anyway. I tried starting the bike today and it wouldn't, but I smelled gas- so I feel like it is getting some gas at least. The petcock is fine. Could this be an ignition issue?
      1988 Katana 600 / GSX600F

Comment

Anything's possible. You could check for spark at the plugs but you said your floats weren't sealing correctly. Check by filling the bowls and trying to blow in the fuel lines. If you get air through then they're not sealing. Fix that before moving on.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

if you have the money arsenic will hook it up.. they look pretty much brand new and work like a charm.. the carbs...

Comment

The original problem was starts and runs fine cold, then eventually stops and restart quickly becomes worse and worse till it won't start?

Right?

That says to me you either are not getting enough fuel flow to the carbs and it's running out of fuel, or you have too much fuel flowing (stuck floats) and it's filled the oil.

If not enough flowing, but some is... then you eventually use more than is being replaced and it's essentially running out of fuel in the carbs.

If the floats are sticking, it is flooding the engine and your oil with fuel. Cold engines run better on richer conditions, so it will start up and run fine. But as it warms up, it starts to flood out as a hot engine runs better lean. Gas in the oil will flood the engine.

A full carb cleaning is the most likely resolution, followed with checking petcock and fuel lines are right and flowing/no kinks. Change the oil after you fix the carbs if there is fuel in it.

Carb cleaning is much more intensive than opening the covers and spraying with aerosol carb cleaner spray. There most times need to be a carb cleaning dip, an ultrasonic cleaner, media blasting, or something more than just the spray to really get them clean enough.

If you have them super clean and the float needles still won't seal, you may need to replace them.

I don't think it's an ignition problem....

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I think I figured out a big part of my problem. When cleaning the needle seats, I looked at the o-rings on them and I think they're completely shrunk. I got to the second carb with cleaning and stopped, because when I put it back in to the carb body, it just slid right in and clicked when it hit the bottom, indicating that the o-ring wasn't touching at all. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Ned/Katana/img_0965.jpg (Warning- full size pic)

As I mentioned above, I think my bowl O-rings have the same issue, another pic: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Ned/Katana/img_0967.jpg (Warning- full size pic)

Could someone confirm that these o-rings are shot, and I'm not mistakenly replacing things I shouldn't mess with? Also, could someone point me to a source for these O-rings? The Carb Kit Capital link above is OOS. I may just get some same-sized generic Viton o-rings from McMaster. Has anyone done that before?
              Last edited by nedfunnell; 05-29-2011, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Yes you can use generic o-rings, replace them, they are old anyways and it's like 30 cents a piece.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

You haven't ordered o-rings from McMaster-Carr have you? You have to order a pack of 25. Vitron are packs of 25, Buena-N are packs of 100. Still only like $8 though.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    You haven't ordered o-rings from McMaster-Carr have you? You have to order a pack of 25. Vitron are packs of 25, Buena-N are packs of 100. Still only like $8 though.
                    I was just looking at materials. I knew rubber would be out, an the McMaster applicability chart shows only PTFE, Kalrez, Fluorosilicone, and FEP has having both good gasoline and alcohol resistance- Viton is shown as 'poor' alcohol resistance so I counted it out. Have you used Viton with good results in E10 fuels? Do you have a box of these sitting on a shelf, so I could just buy 5 from you cheaper than McMaster?

Comment

Hardware store, metric orings or harbor freight.
                      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Yeah, I have them. I use Viton o-rings for ALL the float bowl o-rings, Have been for about two years. No complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                          harbor freight.
                          I'll pass, I prefer my stuff too actually work.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                            Hardware store, metric orings or harbor freight.
                            Kevin, have you used those with gas/E10 with success?

Comment

So how much for a set of O-rings for the BST31SS carbs?

Comment

PM me

Comment

Working...
                                X