X

Key off and motor keeps running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key off and motor keeps running

I am having to many issues with my bike....if i cant get it working right within the week..... FOR SALE!

I turn the key off and the bike keeps running, battery wont hold a charge and only cranks a few times....Alternator is putting out. Front blinkers decide to not work right side stay on like it should as bike is running. NEED HELP NOW. Need to get home.

Amount of issues I have had = Worst bike I have own

Is your bike and wiring system completely stock? Have you done any electrical work at all? Has the harness been inspected fully, cleaned all connections, and made sure there is no damged wires anywhere?

You have a 15 year old bike... it's going to need care.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

As krey said...

Go through your whole wiring harness for shorts/ cuts/ anything

Comment

I understand with age and abuse its gonna have issues.... but dumping money into a bottom less pit is not getting anywhere. I had an issue with the ignition couple days ago, got it fixed but it fried the connector... fixed it and the module and was okay. Today the already installed LED rear blinkers fried cause of being grounded. So i removed them and went to cycle gear and got some new blinkers and installed them. Front blinkers dont work now and have inspected the wires besides heat melting the wire casing and being fixed no known issues. Later on to day i ride the bike and enjoyed the air in my hair. Come home turn the key off and the bikes diesels (stays running) and ran till i pushed the kill switch....now the when i go to crank the bike it turns over and dies... so coils not getting adequate power. I push start and it fires up no problem. drove for about ten mins ( 4 miles aprox) and shut it off (still stays running till i use kill switch) and turn around to start bike and its like its not charging. SO i checked the alternator and removed battery....STAY RUNNING.

I am in Georgia and need to get back home to FL... afraid to chance it and **** up more ****.

Side note: Headlight bulb blew and bought another one but high beams only work...WTF
        Last edited by 96Kat75085; 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by 96Kat75085 View Post
          I understand with age and abuse its gonna have issues.... but dumping money into a bottom less pit is not getting anywhere. I had an issue with the ignition couple days ago, got it fixed but it fried the connector... fixed it and the module and was okay. Today the already installed LED rear blinkers fried cause of being grounded. So i removed them and went to cycle gear and got some new blinkers and installed them. Front blinkers dont work now and have inspected the wires besides heat melting the wire casing and being fixed no known issues. Later on to day i ride the bike and enjoyed the air in my hair. Come home turn the key off and the bikes diesels (stays running) and ran till i pushed the kill switch....now the when i go to crank the bike it turns over and dies... so coils not getting adequate power. I push start and it fires up no problem. drove for about ten mins ( 4 miles aprox) and shut it off (still stays running till i use kill switch) and turn around to start bike and its like its not charging. SO i checked the alternator and removed battery....STAY RUNNING.

I am in Georgia and need to get back home to FL... afraid to chance it and **** up more ****.

Side note: Headlight bulb blew and bought another one but high beams only work...WTF

Sounds to me like the first thing I would check is the regulator is working, and your not getting more than 14.5v on charge. If you are, swap the alternator, and repair the damaged/replace the damged wiring harness.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Sounds to me like the first thing I would check is the regulator is working, and your not getting more than 14.5v on charge. If you are, swap the alternator, and repair the damaged/replace the damged wiring harness.

Krey
            I replace wires that was burnt beyond repair. Even used another wire loom off another bike till I found out the module on the left side of the battery was different and just but old back on.

Comment

Working...
            X