Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Carb problem troubleshooting (with pics!)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb problem troubleshooting (with pics!)

Ok, so a few days ago ya'll helped me get my carbs straightened out. It idled at about 99% awesome but as the bike idled it would slowly die - over about 2-3 minutes which I read was a sign of a bike running too rich. For funsies I checked my pipes with an infra red temp gun and found that number two was way way colder than the other 3 pipes by almost 150 degrees. I went out this morning since it is delightfully rainy to fix it. When I opened my door I found this.

Upon a visual inspection is was leaking out from in between carbs 1 and 2. I couldn't see well so I removed the tank and air filter to get a better look. I assumed it was my custom ghetto fuel lines. Much to my lack of surprise fuel was leaking out of the back of the carb from the holes circled below.

It continued to leak until the gas that was in the lines was all over the floor and there was nothing left to lose.

1. What are those holes
    2. Do I need to readjust my floats (which is what I am assuming is causing this) or did I leave something out of the carb.
    3. How can I fix this

I am going to go disconnect the carb unit and check in the float bowl to see if something is amiss. Any help would be sweet.

recently cleaned and synched the carbs - a/f screws are at 2.5 as per carbs 101 - rode the bike yesterday and it was like a whole new bike... just kinda idled down over a few minutes.

Or if anyone lives in Minneapolis and is bored - I have some newcastle, sam adams noble pils, a poorly lit garage, and an adequate tool supply
    Last edited by zach5045; 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM.

Petcock issue also. When the bike is turned off no more gas should be flowing...
    -2000 "750"

Comment

Petcock issue also. When the bike is turned off no more gas should be flowing...
      +1

I had the same problem rebuilt the petcock problem solved.

Comment

or it was left on prime... either way, yes something is wrong with the floats.. adjustment/stuck
        -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by zach5045 View Post
          I opened my door I found this.

Upon a visual inspection is was leaking out from in between carbs 1 and 2.

It continued to leak until the gas that was in the lines was all over the floor and there was nothing left to lose.

1. What are those holes
          2. Do I need to readjust my floats (which is what I am assuming is causing this) or did I leave something out of the carb.
          3. How can I fix this

recently cleaned and synched the carbs - a/f screws are at 2.5 as per carbs 101 -

A float needle did not seat, allowing fuel to flow freely through the carbs. This could cause an issue with the idle as well. Since you narrowed it down to the same cylinder as the leak, I'm gonna say probably just that one float needle or float needs to be checked.

Those holes are air jets, and it's not a problem with them... just the lowest point for fuel to leak out of.

Fix this by....

Checking the needle again, make sure it's correct. check the needle seat make sure it's clean. Check the float heights (should be 13mm). Make sure when checking the float height, your not doing by just turning the carbs upside down. you need to turn them so that the floats have just fallen into the carb body and is not pushing down on the needle.

Once you think you have them right, on the bench fill the float bowls with fuel with the fuel line. Once full, blow on the fuel line. If you cant' blow through, you have fixed the issue. If you can blow through, drain the bowls again and start over.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1 to what Krey said. If cleaning doesn't help. the float needle may be worn, or the 0-rings on the float could be leaking.

Even if the petcock was not working right the floats should stop the fuel from flowing into the carbs.
            89 Katana 750
            06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

Working...
            X