X

confusion on 99 carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confusion on 99 carbs

I decided to clean my carbs out because the bike has sit for a year, and after starting it and gettting it running, i cant get it to idle, and when i adjust the idle screw it "free revs" at 3000 and wont come back down, its hard to start and i noticed the choke lever had no effect on the idle. I tore it apart, realized my choke cable is bad, so i have a new on the way, i followed all intructions on carb 101 thread, and here is my confusion. I drilled out the brass plugs, and check my a/f screws, and they are "snug". Now i have read that i want them set at around 1 3/4 out for a stock bike. But turning them out will lean the bike, so my question is why were they "snug" if the factory brass plugs were still in?.

Because they are super lean from the factory, to the point that it doesn't run right. It shouldn't be 1 3/4 turns out, it should be 2.5 turns out. No, turning them out doesn't make it lean, turning them out richens the mixture. And carbs 101 is for pre 98 carbs. You should be looking at carbs 102.

Comment

Thank you for clearing this up for me

Comment

After I put the carbs back on the bike, I set the tank ontop and hooked everything up, and tried to start it with a ziptie around the choke and it won't start, won't even try, I have read on here many people have had this problem and its recommended that there carbs still aren't clean, I really don't think that's the issue here. I'm getting power to the coil, only thing that I have changed is adjusted the a/f 2.5 out. Before I adjusted them 2 of the carbs were at 1 turn out and the other 2 were all the way in? I'm lost.

I checked the coils and i'm getting 10.5 volts to each one, i loosened a drain screw on the bottom of the bowl and it had gas in it. Soo i'm guessing i need to open the carbs back up? Carbs 102? Where can i find this?
        Last edited by bgballin26; 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
        X