X

bike fell over... change the oil?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike fell over... change the oil?

My bike fell over while I was away from home. Either it was the wind (doubt it) or vandals were hanging out in my neighborhood again.

Anyway, I've heard I need to change the oil before riding it, is that true or is that not neccessary? I just changed it a month ago. Is there anything else I should do? Luckily there is not any damage to the bike.

I have never heard of that before....

but I dont know!

Comment

i cant imagine why you would need to, its not like to oil is going to go anywhere is doesn't have access to already.
      i know i've dropped my bike many a time, lucky never at speed, and i've yet to change the oil.

Comment

I heard gas can get into the oil via the breather tube/elsewhere

Comment

you can get gas in the oil if you tip over the bike yes. for that to happen your petcock must be broken.

so what you need to do is to check the oil level. if its higher than what it was before it was dropped then yes you have gas in the oil and you need to change the oil before you ride the bike again.

if you dont remember where the oil level was before then you have two options.

1. change the oil anyway just to be sure.
          2. run the bike and see if its running too rich. ( popping from the exhaust etc )
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

You can also pop open the oil fill cap and smell for gas.
            Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

What would be the problem of having fuel in the oil and running it like that?

Comment

Fuel doesn't lubricate, you would have all sorts of problems before very long.
                Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Just check your oil level...

if it's normal level, your fine.

If over full, change it.

If low... add some.

The most likely place for fuel to go on a tip over is out the vents on the carbs. You know that lines that drape over the airbox (if you have the lines on there anyways).

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm fairly certain my petcock is working (I've taken the gas tank off many times and only a little bit of gas drips out - the gas that's already in the lines).

Oil level looked about the same as before, but i will double check that.

Problem is my allergies are awful right now so i can't smell anything

Comment

Alas...the Vandals always irk me sore!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by jamesm113 View Post
                        I'm fairly certain my petcock is working (I've taken the gas tank off many times and only a little bit of gas drips out - the gas that's already in the lines).

Oil level looked about the same as before, but i will double check that.

Problem is my allergies are awful right now so i can't smell anything

.... Have a friend or stranger sniff your can for you? ha ha ha.. couldn't resist the attempt at gross humor.
                        Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Working...
                        X