Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What would cause gas to come through the T valves connected to the airbox?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would cause gas to come through the T valves connected to the airbox?

So, I put my bike back together after cleaning the carbs and replacing the float needles with some slightly different ones...

I put it in prime position and had the choke on and fired it up... It started with some throttle, I had to keep the throttle on to have it run.

Then it died on me. I tried to start it again, changing the petcock to the on position rather than prime. It won't start.

Then I look and there is a bunch of gas all over the bike and in those T valves.

Any suggestions? It just won't start now, and I want to somehow sync the carbs and get it running.
    1999 600 Katana
    sigpic

You mean the where the vent hoses go? The only times I've seen that happen was on pre 98 carbs where the pilot jet plug is holding a float open. Now 98+ carbs don't have pilot jet plugs. So the only thing that would hold a float open is if the float needle is too long.

Comment

you said slightly different float needle. Sounds like it's not sealing and you're flooding out big time.
      When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

I just ordered the proper float needles, I am going to wait until they come in the mail.

Is there anything I have to do to clean it out if I flooded it?
        1999 600 Katana
        sigpic

Comment

Make sure their is no gas in the oil. Change it once, run it. If no more gas floods into the oil, change it again. Then you're good.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Make sure their is no gas in the oil. Change it once, run it. If no more gas floods into the oil, change it again. Then you're good.
            Damn, I sure hope it didn't go into the oil.

Could it have from just 30 secs or so of trying to give it throttle to start it?
            1999 600 Katana
            sigpic

Comment

yup

Comment

Does gas leak out when the petcock is on prime?
                "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
                Chris
                graphic designer | drummer
                2002 Katana 600
                Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

Originally posted by decdrummer View Post
                  Does gas leak out when the petcock is on prime?
                  Not really, no.

Should it?
                  1999 600 Katana
                  sigpic

Comment

not really or no? No it shouldn't leak out if your floats/needles are working correctly
                    "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
                    Chris
                    graphic designer | drummer
                    2002 Katana 600
                    Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

Working...
                    X