X

Need some carb advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some carb advice

Alright guys I am just stumped. I have a 1993 katana 750. I recently took my carbs off for cleaning, decided to rejet since the bike has k&n filters and a V&H pipe from the previous owner and it was running quite poor after winter storage. Got the carbs cleaned up, put on new fuel line and put carbs back on. After much trial and error, from having the bike running so hot it was smoking, to being rideable. Now my questions is, i put on 107.5 main jets and 112.5 on the 3rd carb. It's still acting like it is lean and the fuel screws are out about 3 turns, was down to 1.5 turns out but the idle was just ridiculously high, but now it idles nicely and starts without the choke. It doesn't sound like its firing right until about 1/4-1/2 throttle and kind of sputters. I have been trying to figure this out for a while and have no idea. The plugs were looking lean every time. How can this be after a rejet and cleaning. Could the pilot screws be clogged? I did not take them out when cleaning because i could see right through them. Should i shim the needle? Do they just need re balancing? New spark plugs? Any help would be appreciated as I am quite new at this.

loose the pod filters.

Comment

+1
      CV carbs need just that, Constant (air) Velocity. You're not going to get that with pods. Ever. The restriction from the airbox means that the airflow in the carbs is only what the pistons draw through the exact same restriction as all the other pistons.

We could get a lot more technical with it but the bottom line is that the carbs need that airbox to act right.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

2.5 turns out with stock airbox/filter, v&h pipe, stage 1 kit, needle on the 2nd clip, floats at 14.7mm = bike will run just right.

<---- 93 750 with that setup
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X