X

Carb overflow from "PRIME"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb overflow from "PRIME"?

Was getting the bike ready for its first ride of the season. I drained the carbs in the fall so they were bone dry. I set petcock to prime then got distracted for about half an hour when I got back there was fuel on the floor and seemed to coming from the #1 carb. My first thought was a stuck float but am now hoping it`s cause it was left on prime?
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

If you're floats are working right, you can leave it on prime all day. That's a float needle not working correctly. Possibly a stuck float.

Comment

Put the petcock back to ON and run the bike. If it still leaks after you run some fuel through then try a bit of Seafoam. Chances are the problem will go away on its own.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Chances are the problem will go away on its own
        I like that answer.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          Put the petcock back to ON and run the bike. If it still leaks after you run some fuel through then try a bit of Seafoam. Chances are the problem will go away on its own.
          If carbs where dry all winter this is the advice I would go with and see what happens.
          Also check to make sure the Gas didn't get down into the oil.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            If you're floats are working right, you can leave it on prime forever. That's a float needle not working correctly. Possibly a stuck float.
            Fixed that for you...

Comment

And that is why I made sure my garage is detached

Pickles and I are coming over with some matches
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Don't give Gord any ideas.
                Bring Pickles over any time...I just want to squish his little wrinkly face

Comment

I would suggest taking a look in the oil level window and checking for contamination. Perhaps even finding some sort of dipstick to check the oils viscosity. Did the same thing as you left it on prime over night came out side and half my gas tank was on the ground. The motor was locked up and showed no sign of starting. When i went to change the oil it came pouring out like soup! Glad it didnt start up for me or may have run it and scored the internals. After changing the oil and cleaning the carbs it started right up. Cleaned the carbs real well and double checked all the floats and needles and seemed fine. Not sure if would flood again but dont plan on leaving it on prime to find out.

Comment

Working...
                  X