X

94 katana 600 wont start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 katana 600 wont start

Hey Hey all I'm new to the forum, hate to have my first post be this but what can you do. I am working on a 94 katana 600 for a friend that will not start, when it was first brought over to my place (flatbed) it would crank thats it, threw some starter fluid in it started breifly, it had been sitting awhile so i took the tank off (bad gas) removed and cleaned carbs very well anything that could be taken out and cleaned was, bench syncd, put them back on rigged up a alt fuel supply, wouldnt start until i sprayed more starter fluid in, it ran smooth at idle but cracking the throttle there was a big hesitation, going slow there was still hesitation but not bad, once at high rpm it would stick and slowly come back down. Checked coils, wires they were fine, plugs were covered in black soot (rich) cleaned then the bike sat overnight went to start it the next day and nothin sprayed some starter fluid in and got a very loud back fire. any questions/advice fire away! ty ty

Originally posted by MrMr View Post
    Hey Hey all I'm new to the forum, hate to have my first post be this but what can you do. I am working on a 94 katana 600 for a friend that will not start, when it was first brought over to my place (flatbed) it would crank thats it, threw some starter fluid in it started breifly, it had been sitting awhile so i took the tank off (bad gas) removed and cleaned carbs very well anything that could be taken out and cleaned was, bench syncd, put them back on rigged up a alt fuel supply, wouldnt start until i sprayed more starter fluid in, it ran smooth at idle but cracking the throttle there was a big hesitation, going slow there was still hesitation but not bad, once at high rpm it would stick and slowly come back down. Checked coils, wires they were fine, plugs were covered in black soot (rich) cleaned then the bike sat overnight went to start it the next day and nothin sprayed some starter fluid in and got a very loud back fire. any questions/advice fire away! ty ty
    I know you already put the carbs back on, but if possible, open up the float bowls and carefully inspect the float needles. Make sure the retractable spring pin on the top of the float needles move freely.
    1999 600 Katana
    sigpic

Comment

I made sure i did that when i had them apart and made sure to clean everything i could because of the bad gas.

Comment

First of all, welcome aboard. Second, (and I hate to say this) but I think you still have a carb issue as well as a possible petcock problem.
        Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Thats what i was kinda thinking, i checked the petcock its working as it should. Any suggestions on the carbs? i removed the floats, pilot jet , main jet, needle jet, piston valve(slide), air jet and cleaned and used compressed air, the pilots were gummed up pretty bad so i took a bristle from a soft paint brush and ran them through. after the backfire (x2) i checked the plugs they were dry and i had no gas smell at all, that means carbs are lean right??

Comment

I'm no carb expert, so I won't try to tell you what may be wrong with them (i'll leave that to arsenic or kreylyn) I just know that sounds like dirty carbs to me. I also don't think you can diagnose a lean condition from a couple of backfires. The bike would need to run at least a little.
            Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

oko ill have to wait and see if they stop in ty ty.

Comment

I didn't catch anything about use of the "choke". That would be needed to start a cold bike most times.

Other things are pointing towards the pilot circuit not being fully cleaned. Spray alone isnt' going to be enough, you use that spray after soaking for 12 hours min in a carb dip to get close to really being clean. This includes the ports and passages in the carb bodies as well.

Don't put anything rubber in the dip, it won't come back out.

You can also check the voltage to the coils when the key is on. Should read at least 10.5v or you will have a problem starting the bike.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Your idle circuit is still clogged. You're going to have to go back into those carbs and soak the bodies. Sorry.

Best bet with these carbs seems to be to go big or stay home. Either tear them completely apart and soak the bodies/jets or don't bother.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Krey, i have tried with choke on and off same results and i will head out to check voltage right now. ty Krey and Bill i will once again take them off and apart and dip them. ill let you know how it goes

Comment

If you are interested, I have a set of 90-97 600 carbs all rebuilt and ready to go. I'll sell them to you and refund part of your payment as a core when I receive your current set.

Comment

ty arnesic but i may have another set on the way (auction still going). last nite i tested the coil resistance, coil amps with the key on, plug wires, plug caps and relay, they are all within specs. haven't dipped the carbs in hopes i win the auction and because i cant get a hold of my friend to get money to get the dip lol. ty ty for the help its appreciated.

Comment

Okay so you're going to spend money on a set of equally crappy crabs?

Comment

Im only the middle man, I have offered my advice and what advice I have received on here and she (my friend) doesnt want to listen, to be honest im tempted to wash my hands of the whole situation, I have my own bike to work on lol. I have seen your carbs and in my opinion think they are a great deal she just doesnt want to spend what she thinks is a lot of money... as I said only the middle man.
                            Last edited by MrMr; 05-09-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Oh, your a middle man, didn't realize that. Choice is her's.

Comment

Working...
                              X