X

damper rod bolt help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damper rod bolt help

I took everything apart with no problem. now i'm having problems with my damper rod bolts, they don't budge. I sprayed some penetrating oil and letting it sit overnight.Am getting a new hex key tomorrow.Last thing I wanna do is damage the boly head. Am wondering if I can apply some heat with a torch, oil is out.

Take a long allen socket and with the allen in the bolt head rap it a good one with a hammer, The allen socket not your hand. Usually hitting it a few times will break it loose so it will come out easy.

Tmod

Comment

Couple of things I've learned doing that. Use a 1/2" drive 6mm hex key socket without a "ball" on the end. You want 1/2" cause the ratchet is bigger, thus more torque. I've done that before with a 500 ft/lbs impact, stripped the bolt head. That was a lot of fun drilling that out. Oh, BTW, I've done that more than once, one day I'll learn.
      I have THIS one.
      Last edited by arsenic; 05-05-2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

And if you DO strip it , get the next size up SAE , hammer it down in there , and try to BREAK it loose ( a good sharp twist , but don't try too hard to go THROUGH the bolt , if that makes sense ) . I had to use this method the first time I did my forks . They got red loctite on them , which requires a good SHARP application of force to snap free .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Use an impact gun and reinstall the spring, washer, spacer and fork cap (no fork oil) to keep the damper from spinning. If you don't have air tools handy you can use an electric impact driver or take the forks and bit to a garage and ask them to put their impact on it.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I like my method..
            [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/10583706"]Pre 98 Katana Fork disassembly on Vimeo[/ame]
            Also heat breaks lock tite. You can fit an allen wrench in the bolt. Then heat the other end with a torch. The heat will travel along the wrench and soften the lock tite.

Comment

Hmmm I have yet to see one with locktite on it, You sure it wasn't corrosion?

If you have to drill it out just use a 5/16" drill bit and just drill until the head of the bolt comes off. Go slow and be careful.

EDIT: Looked in the manual and it does state to use 1342 thread lock, Have no idea what that is compared to loctite brand.
              1342 - low strength, frequent removal

Tmod
              Last edited by Tmod; 05-06-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't know it was tread locker. I just though it was really tight. Not saying it isn't, I've just never check the reinstall procedure.

Comment

I use a low impact air gun (250 ftlbs)
                  hammer the bit in first, make sure its in all the way, then hook up the impact gun and chug away.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Love the video. Pause for coffee...!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      Love the video. Pause for coffee...!
                      I never work without coffee.. Did you see the coil relay write up?
                      You know what's an awesome invention? Starbuck's VIA..

Comment

Mr Coffee is my friend. Not big on Four-bucks, though. Too much money for a cup of coffee and then there's all the venti-quad-mocha-late-frappa-vanilla-snobio folks in there. Ask for a cup of coffee and they all look at you funny like you just pooped in the pool or something.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          Mr Coffee is my friend. Not big on Four-bucks, though. Too much money for a cup of coffee and then there's all the venti-quad-mocha-late-frappa-vanilla-snobio folks in there. Ask for a cup of coffee and they all look at you funny like you just pooped in the pool or something.
                          "Are they built for comfort of built for speed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                            I like my method..
                            Pre 98 Katana Fork disassembly on Vimeo
                            Also heat breaks lock tite. You can fit an allen wrench in the bolt. Then heat the other end with a torch. The heat will travel along the wrench and soften the lock tite.
                            you were right on with the damper rod bolt, Black!(good video) it was the hardest part.I tried impact, hammer. your homemade tool, but nogo, so as my last resort it started to budge with some heat, was concerned for the teflon so I extended my fork to the max.and used enough heat to break the screws.got both off, without breakage. My hex key took quite a beating though. The low head screw was a bad design,I'm replacing them with standard size heads as you suggest. The screws did have loc tite, the heat did soften it and it looked like a rubber cement type of seal. Now, reassembly..... think I'll go for a coffee first ........

Comment

congrats, i got mine out with a vise and breaker bar on the hex key.

Comment

Working...
                              X