X

Losing power at 6000 RPM & Tough Starting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing power at 6000 RPM & Tough Starting

Hey everybody, loving the kat but noticed a problem I'm having. When I'm on the highway I have plenty of torque getting up to speed but once I hit around 65-70 (and about 6k RPMS) the bike just doesn't have a lot to give. If I really twist the throttle I can keep accelerating, but slowly. Also, I have noticed that I have been having more trouble starting the bike where it will start and turn over for a second and then die. Usually if I get the choke on at the exact right time then it'll rev up and I'll let it warm up then it rides fine. It just seems like there is something slightly off and I have no idea where to start. Supposedly the carbs were cleaned right before I bought it. Help?

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm not sure how much power I'm really supposed to have on the highway. I'm 6'6 and around 300 lbs, so I'm a lot to move around on the bike and my chest is a giant sail probably slowing the bike down. Would this have a major effect?

Originally posted by mwa423 View Post
    Hey everybody, loving the kat but noticed a problem I'm having. When I'm on the highway I have plenty of torque getting up to speed but once I hit around 65-70 (and about 6k RPMS) the bike just doesn't have a lot to give. If I really twist the throttle I can keep accelerating, but slowly. Also, I have noticed that I have been having more trouble starting the bike where it will start and turn over for a second and then die. Usually if I get the choke on at the exact right time then it'll rev up and I'll let it warm up then it rides fine. It just seems like there is something slightly off and I have no idea where to start. Supposedly the carbs were cleaned right before I bought it. Help?

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm not sure how much power I'm really supposed to have on the highway. I'm 6'6 and around 300 lbs, so I'm a lot to move around on the bike and my chest is a giant sail probably slowing the bike down. Would this have a major effect?

Even at your size, the bike should scare the pickles out of you if you rolled on the throttle.

I think (since I have no info on your bike or setup really) that either...

carbs are not really clean or assembled properly...

There are aftermarket airfilter/airbox missing/vacuum leak issues...

Fuel flow issues with fuel lines incorrect type, petock not working right, or vacuum isn't hooked correctly to the petcock....

or... you have a spark issue and the bike is missing on 1 or more cylinders that your not recognizing because you don't know the bike well enough (these bikes will run on 2 cylinders believe it or not...)

So... time to narrow down the issues.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Forgot to mention what should have been obvious. It's a 2002 Katana 600

Comment

nevermind....
        -2000 "750"

Comment

As an additional side note, the bike (to my knowledge) is completely stock. Incorrect fuel or air strikes me as a potential problem. If this is actually the problem, will continuing to ride it hurt it? I actually don't mind warming up to the bike a little more with it tempered (especially if twisting the throttle will get me in big trouble in top form)

Comment

COULD be operator error , too . Or plug(s) on the verge or fouling . Sounds like fouling for some reason with the no power on the highway . But to figger out WHY it's doing that ....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
            X