X

Sprocket Bearing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket Bearing

I just recently got a 1994 Katana 750. it has an oil leak so i tore down what i could and i've discovered that the drive sprocket shaft bearing is SMOKED, it litterally fell out of the bike in four pieces. i just looking for anyone with pointers/information that can help me replace this bearing (escpecially how to find the right bearing for my bike, and whether or not im going to have to remove the transmission from the bike or not.) i'm not a pro with bike tech, but im not useless either. Really want to get this bike on the road, its my first bike and its killing me to have it sit in my garage, please help!

Parts Look-up

Click--->Parts Microfiche

No.#38 in the photo is what is bad?. They give a measurement, and you might try here as well.

Click--->A Bearing House
    Last edited by SACS; 05-04-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

First.. welcome to KR..
      Go to the Wiki and download the manual for your year.. look up the transmission tear down/rebuild section, that should give you an idea of what is involved to replace the bearing.. I haven't had to deal with the trans on my bike so I can't really give any advice on removing it.

As far as getting a new bearing, you can get them from your dealer, bikebandit or another online store or take the outer race to your local industrial bearing supply and they can x-ref the number that's on the outer race.
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

yes, i think i need to replace everything from No. #39-40

Comment

Originally posted by 94katana750 View Post
          yes, i think i need to replace everything from No. #39-40
          Ok, but whatever you do, don't listen to that guy "GSXFJim" he's a Drunk..

Comment

it's hard to either way. he talks about "local dealers" where i live in Northern Vermont, the closest street bike dealer ship or shop is almost 3 hours away! but do either of you guys know of any like... walkthrough videos perhaps? or somthing! i'm just really afraid that i will get to a point on my bike where i won't be able to continue or put it back together!

Comment

Originally posted by 94katana750 View Post
              it's hard to either way. he talks about "local dealers" where i live in Northern Vermont, the closest street bike dealer ship or shop is almost 3 hours away! but do either of you guys know of any like... walkthrough videos perhaps? or somthing! i'm just really afraid that i will get to a point on my bike where i won't be able to continue or put it back together!
              Alright, Toughen Up here... You get online and You Order that Manual Son... Than you go over to BikeBandit.com or some place similar and order your parts... Than have yourself a Sprite on the Rocks, and Tackle that Bearing issue... And Keep us informed son... And Don't Be Scared.

Comment

Why order a manual? There's one to download in the wiki unless you need more dead trees in your house.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by SACS View Post
                  Ok, but whatever you do, don't listen to that guy "GSXFJim" he's a Drunk..
                  Careful noob...

"but do either of you guys know of any like... walk through videos perhaps? or something"

Again, download the manual.. turn to the transmission section and read.. it will tell you how to take it apart and reassemble.. it will tell you what you need to know..
                  http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                  http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                  '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                  "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                  "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Yeah and whatever you do.... Don't print that Manual on Dead Trees that are in your Printer.

Comment

or do an engine swap... suitable replacement can be found fairly cheap and the labor will be easier. Just another option...
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

Hey, SACS we welcome new members...and appreciate what you are trying to get at... but your humor is a little lost here.

It usually helps to get to know some folks before you start picking on them.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Hey bud, anything that has been done can be undone, usually by replacing the bigger part that broke...unfortunately in your case it's the motor. Fortunately they aren't too hard to find around here! Take ur time and tackle the project 1 step from the manual at a time...the online non-dead tree manual...:-p

Comment

well... i have the owners mannual...

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                            Careful noob...

"but do either of you guys know of any like... walk through videos perhaps? or something"

Again, download the manual.. turn to the transmission section and read.. it will tell you how to take it apart and reassemble.. it will tell you what you need to know..

by "manual", do you mean Service manual or owners manual, because i have the original owners mannual, but my auto tech teacher told me i need the service mannual?, also im having trouble using the wiki on this site... would anyone be able to get me a direct link to the Page/pages i need to download?

Thank You!

Comment

Yes the Service Manual. Because.... Life is about choices, not Dead Trees.

Door#1--->Ebay Facotry Service Manual

Door#2--->Ebay Clymer's Service Manual

Wiki #1---> Haynes Service Manual

Wiki#2--->GSX750F Factory Service Manual

Comment

Working...
                              X