Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Help! Cracked starter cover, leaked oil + clutch is weird + won't start!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Cracked starter cover, leaked oil + clutch is weird + won't start!

I suppose this is an introduction as well as a HELP NEEDED thread

I just got my first bike, 2004 Kat 600, been riding a month or so. Anyways, took it on long (well long for me) parkway ride yesterday and today , no problems there, but as i'm turning around in my dead end street right in front of my house, I drop it on the left side.

Almost immediately it starts to leak oil out of here:

Left side is starter cover correct?

Inside of cover:

Weeeell, even before all the oil was out (hadnt noticed right away), the bike wouldnt even turn on again. No response from it whatsoever. Lights and electronics work, but no ignition. Could that be a 'safety precaution' for no oil? Someone mentioned a tipover sensor, if that may be it how do I reset it?

In addition, clutch lever feels different than before, and it feels like I can shift gears without even pulling the clutch lever in (but then wont shift sometimes even if lever is pulled).

Any information/suggestions/place to buy parts would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    Last edited by gyro; 05-01-2011, 05:46 PM.

only GSXR had tilt sensors

The cover can be welded with aluminum rods from harbor freight and made stronger then new.
    as for not starting, when they tip over the flood the engine. The trick to starting any bike that has fallen over is hold the throttle wide open and crank it over until it fires up.
    You cant usually shift thru all the gears without the engine running or countershaft turning...
    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 05-01-2011, 05:56 PM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks for fast response! So does that cover look repairable? I didnt think it would be since the 1 bolt piece is broken (2nd pic).

Thanks for tip on starting it, but not sure what you mean about the shifting? So are you saying something is screwed up since it can shift?

Comment

No its normal if you can shift to 1 or 2 gears while sitting still. Normally you have to rock the bike back and forth to get the gears to switch. Because you need the gears moving for the engagemant dogs to aling and slip into place.

the cover is repairable, I have fixed worse. If your not real good with the aluminum welding rods you can fix the crack and leave the missing piece and just add a washer to hold it into place.
        it can be a quick fix or a permanent fix its up to you.

FWIW if you want the best covers that will never break again. buy a set of NRC covers.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by gyro View Post
          Thanks for fast response! So does that cover look repairable? I didnt think it would be since the 1 bolt piece is broken (2nd pic).

Thanks for tip on starting it, but not sure what you mean about the shifting? So are you saying something is screwed up since it can shift?
          You might be able to get it welded, but still might not seal up properly.
          1999 600 Katana
          sigpic

Comment

I had mine welded after I dropped it and it never leaked a drop, plus only cost $25 at the machine shop located conveniently across the street from old house.
            '98 GSX750F SOLD
            Looking for project bike back in Jersey.

Comment

weird how it broke like that from sitting for a bit and looking at it.... best bet unless you know how to weld alumn. Just take it to a shop and get it welded up. otherwise from a QUICK search, heres one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-up...Q5fAccessories
              "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
              2004 marauder 800

Comment

If I had a post kat, I would definately put the NRC covers on... Even if you fix that one, the next drop could probably cause another leak. NRC covers your not going to break or leak from a simple drop like that.

It's not if, it's when you drop the bike.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok so the shifting/gear thing might not be a big deal? wheeew that it what concerned me most because i dont think it ever shifted while just sitting neutral.

Thanks for the responses, I think I am going to go with that NRC cover!!

But as for starting it, there is just no electrical response from the starter button whatsoever. Just sits there silent. Will opening the throttle and cranking it (im assuming means just keep pressing ignition?) such as said above still work?

Comment

Ok so the shifting/gear thing might not be a big deal? wheeew that it what concerned me most because i dont think it ever shifted while just sitting neutral.

Thanks for the responses, I think I am going to go with that NRC cover!!

But as for starting it, there is just no electrical response from the starter button whatsoever. Just sits there silent. Will opening the throttle and cranking it (im assuming means just keep pressing ignition?) such as said above still work?

If your starter does nothing when you press the start button, it's a saftey switch. Check the switch on the kickstand and at the clutch perch. They will keep the starter from turning over at all.

If the starter will turn over but the bike isn't starting because it's flooded.... is when you turn the throttle to lean things out and get it started.

Your issue is a safety switch issue most likely.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I agree check the clutch safety switch, dis connect it and jump the two wires together and try it.

also under the seat between the battery and the gas tank is the side stand relay. give it a wiggle and make sure it is seated well and the neutral light is ON
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

Comment

I checked kickstand switch, cable is connected.. Nothing when stand is up/switch pressed in (not sure what else to check for)

i found this thread with same issue: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80380

I adjusted clutch lever so I get full pull, but nothing

I took the connector off the clutch perch, seems ok.. wiped it down, reconnected, and still nothing

my batter is also getting weak now FML

not even trying to start it since i have no oil in it and screws are off of starter case, but just trying to get ignition to click. It is still in its '30 day' warranty from the dealership, so i'll call them tomorrow and see if they can service it and figure it out (not gonna mention the drop and crack lol) after I replace the starter cover, gasket and oil
                        Last edited by gyro; 05-06-2011, 08:39 PM.

Comment

trying to figure out how to maybe bypass the switch

Switch assembly, cleaned prongs, plastic piece inside slides back and forth no problem

two wires go immediately in handle assembly or w/e its called

one wire, pretty thin (bottom center of pic), goes down into the middle of the bike and under the tank goes down to what looks like the gears (shift lever is right under it). Other big wire (bunch sealed together i assume, coming out of assembly) goes towards front of bike and possibly wraps around the right side.

This is the wiring right under the tank, and I only see one black and yellow wire connects to some cylinder-ish piece

Battery is pretty much dead so guess need to buy a charger now.. FUUUUUUUUU

Also I'm noticing something new, even with clutch pulled in, there is some resistance when I try to walk it, as if it is 1/2 in a gear. In neutral no problem, but if I shift to 1st or 2nd, hold clutch in and walk there's resistance.. perhaps something with clutch cable? (or could it be because no oil in it?)
                          Last edited by gyro; 05-07-2011, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Also I'm noticing something new, even with clutch pulled in, there is some resistance when I try to walk it, as if it is 1/2 in a gear. In neutral no problem, but if I shift to 1st or 2nd, hold clutch in and walk there's resistance.. perhaps something with clutch cable? (or could it be because no oil in it?)
                            That's normal. They do that with cold engines.
                            Last edited by MrBrant; 05-07-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

O ok thanks, just guess i never noticed before. Just trying to eliminate all possibilities.

Done fiddling for today, got work. If anyone else happens to stumble in here and has some tips would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                              X