Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Can't get idle right. (Turning Adjustment Knob)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get idle right. (Turning Adjustment Knob)

1999 Katana 600

It almost feels like the throttle gets stuck when I give it throttle, it revs up real high and stays there. Is that normal? (RPM won't come back down unless I turn the adjustment knob.)

And if I lower it down (the knob), it seems to idle ok for a minute, then just dies on me When I think I have it right, I take it for a ride and when I come to a stop at an intersection it just won't idle, it dies, then I have to pull off to the side and struggle to start it again. I tried to get it just right for about 5 hours today and it just won't seem to work.

Now the bike won't even start unless I give it throttle.

Its been doing some really wacky things on me today, and it seems like its going to be a tough fix.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Gold; 05-01-2011, 04:28 PM.
    1999 600 Katana
    sigpic

Pilot circuit needs to be cleaned.

Comment

I filled it with premium yesterday, would that have any effect on it?

The reason I used premium was because it said: "Contains no ethanol"

All the other octanes said: "May contain up to 10% ethanol"

What should I do?
      1999 600 Katana
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Pilot circuit needs to be cleaned.

With the throttle open and/or idle set really high you are able to get enough gas in there that the dirty pilot circuit isnt noticed.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

Ok, that sounds like a big job, I have to take apart the whole carbs for that right?

Does it sound like I might need to sync the carbs?
          1999 600 Katana
          sigpic

Comment

yeah, if you are interested in a set already rebuilt. Please PM me. Couldn't hurt, but that is not the cause of your issues.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread but...
              As my bike warms up, and the longer I ride it, the idle creeps higher and higher. It will idle when cold obviously around 1100. Then as it warms up it will be around 1500. Then if I go for a long ride it wont idle below around 1800-2000 even with the idle screw all the way screwed out. The carbs are not synced if that matters.

Any ideas?

Comment

Yeah that matters. Sync the carbs.

Comment

Now, my bike only has 12,000kms (7200 miles) on it. Could the carbs really be that bad?
                  1999 600 Katana
                  sigpic

Comment

YES! mileage doesn't matter even a little bit. You have a 99 with ~7,500 miles. That means it's done a whole lot of sitting. That is what matters.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 05-01-2011, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      YES! mileage doesn't matter even a little bit. You have a 99 with ~7,500 miles. That means it's done a whole lot of sitting. That is what matters.
                      As the day goes on and I keep trying it, its getting worse I was gonna take the wife out for a ride tonight too, she's gonna be choked that we have to spend more money on this thing...

Its impossible to start by itself now, I have to give it throttle to even start it. It doesn't want to idle either, and the rpms keep slowing down and sticking around 2000rpm whenever I rev it...

I just wish there was an easy way to fix this

Does it sound like it has anything remotely to do with spark plugs? lol because that I can do.
                      1999 600 Katana
                      sigpic

Comment

You need to clean those carbs and get the AF set right..
                        Spark plugs aint gonna do it..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                          You need to clean those carbs and get the AF set right..
                          Spark plugs aint gonna do it..
                          kk where can I find carbs 102 (1999 600 katana) I can't seem to find it now.
                          1999 600 Katana
                          sigpic

Comment

Katana wiki, the link across the top.

Comment

You know.. The Weird thing is, it was running ok yesterday.

Does that change anything?
                              1999 600 Katana
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X